Air Compressor and water

T

tiz

Hello

I'm new to airbrushing and I've run into a problem. I have an Iwata HP-CS airbrush which is fantastic, but my compessor, is a generic TC-20 with moisture trap. I bought this as a package set off of amazon. I always check the trap for moisture and usually theres a few drops, nothing major. Well, i went a couple of days without checking and there was quite a bit of water in the trap. I'm not sure how this whole thing works but now, everytime i try to airbrush, it looks like water is in the paint because its really thin. I have tried Tamiya and Vallejo Model Air acryic paints and its the same thing. I've taken what i believe is the regualor off of the compressor to see if drying it out works, but it doesnt. I throughly clean my airbrush after each use by taking it apart and I disconnect the hose off the AB and compressor.

I guess my question is, do i need a new compressor? Is there a simple fix for this? Any help would be appreciated.

The link is below to see what it looks like.

Amazon.com: Iwata 4207 HP-CS .35mm Eclipse Airbrush Kit With Airbrush Depot 1 Year Warranty Tankless Compressor and 6 Foot Air Hose Set: Home & Kitchen

Tony

T

tecdes

Very similar to my last & defunc compressor Tony.

Seems that it was not working as it should be which resulted in it overheating (not red hot just a higher temp than normal) this produces water. Noticed that water was being collected in the water separator but not all.

New one hardly collects any water at all.

Laurie

T

tiz

one other thing I wanted to add is this happens immediately. After I connect the airbrush and turn on the compressor, I call for air and water comes out. So the compressor has no time to heat up. I'm thinking my trap/regulaor is shot.

M

m1ks

I take it you're draining the water tap before each spraying session and when it gets a bit of buildup?

Part of the problem is humidity which changed throughout the year, water taps at the comprador are fine but you will always get condensation in the airline.

True the longer and hotter a compressor runs the more moisture will form, warm air hitting cold etc, and on a protracted session thus can and will form in the airline as well as the moisture trap.

Make sure your compressor is not enclosed and had adequate airflow around it, fit an inline filter under the AB in addition to the one on your compressor.

(if you check out an auto spray shop you'll see they have the moisture trap well away from the compressor and as close to the gun as possible)

I spray with a very similar setup and get more moisture in autumn/winter, the under AB trap eliminates it.

I very occasionally get a tiny bit through if I'm on a very protracted session and the compressor is baking hot or if the trap at the brush fills too much and I don't notice, a drain and 5 min to cool sort these out respectively.

Change to a straight airline if you have one of those coiled ones, they are worse for holding water.

For thorough AB cleaning procedure to ensure your brush is spotless before use sees my how to here:

Hope it's useful.

T

tiz

Thanks M1KS. This started happening just within the last couple of days. My trap never really had any moisture in it. But yes i dont drain it. One thing I'm not sure of is I put plumbers tape on the threads where the regulator/trap screw onto the compressor. The reason is because I started to hear air leak out and I made it quite tight. I have since taken the tape off thinking this might be the problem. I think i will purchase an inline, can't hurt.

I do have a stright hose, not one of those coiled ones.

T

tecdes

Tony. Just had a look at the trap on my compressor which I have used every day this week. No water at all. Turned it on & it topped up the tank & there was just about one miniscule drop of water. Released all the air then topped up again & no water at all. Jersey has an RH of average 87 (vapour in the air) average for England is about 65 so this place is a good test.

Where do you airbrush ie indoors in a garage & what temperature. Did this also cause problems when the temperature has been warmer ?

A possible help. Try after turning on the motor running your airbrush dry of paint for say a minute & see if that purges the moisture. If there is water it should come out. Blast it up against a cold piece of sheet metal that will give a clue. Also to close down the areas which may be giving problems. Disconnect the hose & hold the sheet metal close to the outlet to test if the condensation is coming direct form the compressor & not the hose.

Not sure if yours is a compressor with a tank. I have read those with tanks need draining as sometimes there is a build up of water in the tank which can cause the problems as yours.

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I was just going to suggest the tank might need bleeding as well but Laurie beat me to it!

Re reading your initial post I can see that it has no tank, so thats not the problem!!!

I also see that it has a one year GT... Something that you might just need to take advantage of if you cant find a solution.

Ian M

T

tiz

Thanks to Ian and Laurie. I typed a post twice so maybe the third time will be the charm. I have thought about returning it and getting another one. I will have to contact Amazon.

To answer Laurie, I paint in my basement and its underground so its pretty cool, even in the summer months. I got this about 5 months ago and its been working like a dream. Thats whats strange. I was checking the moisture build up regularly and theres usually just some condensation with no water.

I have tried using the AB with no paint. When I press the trigger, I do get some water in the initial burst of air. But if I run it for a bit, it stops. As soon as I put in paint (Tamiya or Vallejo model air) the paint is runny or spiders (I think thats the term).

I will try the methods you suggest Laurie. I also noticed when I disconnected the reg/trap assembly and look into the connection that is on the compressor, I do some signs of rust. Not sure if thats normal.

T

tecdes

Odds are Tony if it has been working like a dream & suddenly not then I would get it back to the supplier.

Laurie