Air Compressor Questions

A

aluriel00

Hello, thank you for reading my post.

I have been using an Iwata clone airbrush (ABD I think) and a Bricolair air compressor with a tank. I've read that it's a 60psi compressor, but the pressure gauge only ever read 40psi. Unfortunately, I think I burned it out as it still runs but will not build up air pressure. I've looked online trying to find parts for it but have been unable to do so. I really liked that compressor.

I replaced it with a Clarke Wizz Air and have not been very happy. I seem to have very little control over the pressure with the included air regulator which you can see in some online pictures. It has a little screw that you undo to bleed off pressure. Like the Badger I had back in the States, it feels like pointing a cannon at whatever you are trying to paint and control seems almost impossible.

Today I tried attaching the Clarke Wizz Air to the Bricolair tank. I would have thought this would work without problems, but in accordance with Murphy's Law, this was wishful thinking. The pressure rises to 32psi but once the air trigger is depressed that pressure rapidly drops to 15psi. I use Vallejo Game Color paints thinned with glass cleaner and at this pressure the nozzle clogs.

I feel that I must be missing something here as I've read good reviews of the Clarke Wizz Air. Is it impossible to use this compressor with a tank due to a tapering or shut off feature? Is it possible to have better control over the air pressure without a tank? Failing that, is it possible to get replacement parts for a Bricolair without speaking German?

I gave up ever trying to do detail work with my Badger. You simply can't paint fine models with a cannon. While I could not get the absolute detail with the Bricolair that I wanted, it seemed a limitation of the brush and paint more than the compressor.

Please help me get back to airbrushing my models. Any advice at all will be greatly appreciated!

Matthew C.

Newcastle Upon Tyne

PS - I am a medical student and as such have zero budget and honestly very little time before classes begin again. No doubt, this limits my options greatly. When I finish residency in seven years I'll get a full size compressor, but until then, I live on a shoestring. 8(

Last edited:
T

tecdes

Hi Matthew. When I bought my compressor last year I looked into the various types.

General opinion was that the diaphragm compressors (your Clarke Wizz Air is diaphragm) can produce a pulsation affect in the air spray. Obviously resulting in an inconsistent paint spray. That may be your problem here. Perhaps as well a diaphragm compressor is not a good partner for a holding tank.

Not heard of the Bricolair air compressor but a quick look & I think it is made in Switzerland. Not any mention in the UK about them at all so I think trying to locate spares for them may be very difficult. Also if it is running that hot sounds as though there must be something radically wrong. Sometimes it is better & cheaper to buy new than try to repair.

Very sorry sounds very pessimistic. If you do buy new the general recommendation is a piston oil less compressor. Providing you are not using it hour on hour you do not need a tank.

Laurie

Last edited: