air fix Cutty Sark

G

Graham D

The other thing you could do is re-make the bowsprite out of wood.

D

Dave1973

\ said:
The other thing you could do is re-make the bowsprite out of wood.
I could also build a Huron particle accelerator!! You jest sir, my skills are way below that I'm afraid.

No, I have affixed the bowsprit as suggested, and it has held on, but as I've started to progress I'm finding more and more pieces on the sprues so badly deformed, or such bad flashing they're stuck together and misshapen.

My skill set isn't anywhere near good enough to scratch make parts for a ship of this complexity. Plus, I've just started, and I really don't want to be frustrated and dismayed with a model this early in!

So I've decided to shelve the kit, and continue with my tank.

Plus, I guess people who do this hobby have their niches they gravitate to. Mine are vehicles, with the odd plane. Perhaps it's because that's my interest in real life, it transposes over into modelling.

So maybe I'll come back to this another time, maybe even turn it into the Cutty Sark underwater!

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Some of these old Airfix kits are real stinkers and that is not limited to the ships, I can remember an old Blenheim kit from 35 years ago were I wondered if the canopy was from a completely different kit the fit was so bad.

The new airfix kits are a lot better.

D

Deleted member 3568

A shame but as you say not good to be frustrated by a bad fitting kit as a newbie, I certainly wouldn't want you being put off this amazing hobby, as you say when you feel your skills allow you can always come back to it. Also if it's not really your preferred genre it's better you build your skills up there. Don't worry I'll remind you from time to time of the poor old ship languishing on the shelf of doom(mines groaning under the strain of th models piled up on it)

james pithouse

Models are fun just ask kpnuts
First Name
James
Hi guys, hopefully pics tomorrow off the Alabama and my new model which I thought was plastic but it is not it is plank on wood even better for a 1/84 length (3ft) scale model which cost me £303 with free p&p from eBay.

good thing the instructions actually show where the rigging goes from and too by the pics and colour coded arrows. Oh bye the way ken mum said if poss can you pop down this weekend or when you are free to pick Pam's money up she forgot to send it with your birthday present and also mum's asked me nicely to ask if you can phoned dad just to speak to him every so often. :D :p

james pithouse

First Name
James
I'll send a white cane if I had the money to you ken and Dave1973 that way you would not need glasses the pair off you or a guide dog :D

james pithouse

First Name
James
Just build them peter do not be scare or they will beat you all the time show who's boss come out from behind the sofa :D