Airborne's Bussing-Nag Recovery Vehicle - I Hope!

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hm. What kind of donuts Mr. Race ? I'm rather partial to Entennman's Chocolate-covered Softee's. If you can accomodate then perhaps I'll sit here with you guys.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
You know Ron, that Grupo Bimbo bought Entenmanns back n 2014? I think they are now the 4th largest bakery in the world, so they may be available in the UK.

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Ohh yeah, I have noticed Bimbo trucks while out on the road Paul. Huh. And here I was thinking it meant something else. And that poor truck driver had to have been scared out of his wits, I must have followed him for miles before I finally gave up.
Hey John, you hear that ? No lame excuses on the Softee Donuts, Pal!

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
My home-made cheese scones - three types of cheese and stacks of it - for me!

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Well, I've started; a somewhat mixed start as the chassis conjured up an 'interesting' range of issues!
The first step is building the air cylinders: the fit of the cylinders to the mounting frames are incredibly tight , so much so that I tried running one of my trusty No. 15 blade round the various parts with no success; one of the holding frames eventually conceded the fight but the only alternative for the other frame was to make a small cut in the holding loop, fit it and resort to a dab of filler. :flushed:
It should be noted that all the locating pins exceed the hole diameters - I opened them up initially with a 0.5 mm bit then resorted to a 0.85 mm 'nil desperandum' but still tight!

The chassis members are 'scale thickness - flimsy! The cross beams locate in recesses and once the main exhaust system is built and initially painted are glued to one side frame - leave 'em to cure overnight then position and glue the other frame - Simples! (NOT!); there was a little distortion once released from the sprue but it was hideously wrong. Tried hot water, swearing, walk away and a glass of wine but to no avail :disappointed:. And so to bed ...
IMG_0486.jpg
IMG_0485.jpg

Next morning, rested and hung over I pulled the second frame off - cleaned it up, allowed it to present naturally, trimmed the ends then glued - HURRAH! a Sauvignon Blanc success! Slight distortion but nothing to worry about as successive steps make the structure increasingly rigid and true.
IMG_0488.jpg
IMG_0487.jpg

I am building OOB but if I was building this again (and I might) I'd like to include hydraulics, plumbing and wiring - why don't manufacturers include a basic wiring/plumbing diagram I wonder?
First impressions - many, many large circular ejection marks, some capable of carving/scraping off, others hidden from view, others - 'Don't look too closely'. Paint as you go, some locations vaguely marked, but otherwise starting to look the bizz!
Steve

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Steve, Like the progress so far.........is this going to be a one or two bottle build? :tongue-out: ;) Rick H.

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
You would be a teetotaller in UK :smiling2:, teetotaler is US usage. Irish-English origin likely.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
You would be a teetotaller in UK :smiling2:, teetotaler is US usage. Irish-English origin likely.
I have Irish in my lineage and my wife more so Paul, but what's the difference! Must still be pretty grim not having a bottle of pain-killer in the 'fridge! :cold-sweat:

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
None, kinda like check/cheque. The poor sods.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Or Aluminium/aluminium……but pronounced differently….

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Sorry for the delay - been building stuff at my wife's school - and my abysmal attempts at photography! The chassis is nearly complete, the big lump of a motor ditto; the same problems have persisted - fiddly parts, chipolata fingers, fading eyesight, empty Sauvignon bottle - life deals some bitter blows! The instructions, with regard to parts placement, are often vague as are the locating points. I've started the chassis weathering process but none of it will be seen as I intend to 'button it up' and include it in a simple diorama - at least I know it's there and I get more time/value from practising and trying new techniques which (if they don't work) are hidden from view.
The next section is the engine installation, followed by the cab; wheels are supposed to be installed but I don't like rubber and am waiting for resin replacements. Once again, apologies for the photography!
Steve
IMG_0508.jpgIMG_0507.jpgIMG_0506.jpgIMG_0505.jpgIMG_0509.jpg

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Steve,
Despite the issues you are having this is turning out very well.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking good!

ATB

Andrew