Airborne's Bussing-Nag Recovery Vehicle - I Hope!

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Had a look at the plans on scalemates and the part on the outside chassis leg sure looks like a hydraulic master cylinder with brake fluid reservoir

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Had a look at the plans on scalemates and the part on the outside chassis leg sure looks like a hydraulic master cylinder with brake fluid reservoir
That's what I initially thought Bob but it just seems curious I haven't seen it on preserved examples -perhaps it got relocated later in it's service life. Anyway it reside in the spares box now! I'm saying nowt unless somebody asks! It just seemed strange perched where it was; there was no associated external pipework and AFV certainly has the tech capability to provide even a rudimentary connection. As an aside I still haven't managed to get the chassis perfectly square yet, it's still slightly out of winding in the rear section - all I've succeeded in doing is snap off the rear reflector arms whilst trying to correct it - hey ho!
Steve

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Its about the right place for inspection etc but as you say, wheres the chambers etc

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Well, here's the next instalment - not much done but I have been away working (!) The cab is populated by (literally) a couple of dozen prominent sink marks and ejector scars :sad-face:, some in awkward places! The assembly sequence for this model needs intense review unless you have the manual dexterity of a brain surgeon - too many fragile pieces posited for assembly before larger assemblies are positioned. Mmmm! I have placed the cab on the chassis but haven't photographed it yet as it's in clamps whilst trying to force the chassis square. Dashboard would have benefited from decals for the instruments but as they're barely visible then it it's of little importance. I have the feeling this could turn out to be a very battered looking wrecker :worried:!
All c and c welcome!
Steve
IMG_1561.jpgIMG_1560.jpgIMG_1559.jpgIMG_1562.jpgIMG_1558.jpg

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
You have removed the master cylinder??

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking good. I try and do the same and leave bits off that will get knocked during the build.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Steve, That looks mighty fine to my eyes. Good job on the dash and dials too! Did you finally manage to get the chassis squared up? Hope so.......Drive on with a hard.....................You know the rest................BTW, AFV Club got the trailer hitch wrong too................

Prost
Allen (Ret.)

Reactions: JR

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
You have removed the master cylinder??
If that's what it is then I have Bob; unless I can find a definitive reference to (a) its function and normal position, and (b) its basic plumbing then it will remain so. I still have it and it is definitely replaceable at short order. Otherwise it just sat there like a spare marital aid :flushed:
Steve

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Steve, That looks mighty fine to my eyes. Good job on the dash and dials too! Did you finally manage to get the chassis squared up? Hope so.......Drive on with a hard.....................You know the rest................BTW, AFV Club got the trailer hitch wrong too................

Prost
Allen (Ret.)
Noted Alan! But a (possibly retired )mechanic's jacket will square that away!
Steve

Last edited:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Just found a so called blue print and it shows the brake master cylinder in the same place but no plumbing. Guess that AFV just plonked it there with no thought as to its function

Reactions: JR

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Just found a so called blue print and it shows the brake master cylinder in the same place but no plumbing. Guess that AFV just plonked it there with no thought as to its function
Thanks Bob; in a way I wish I'd signed up for the Sci-fi group build - I could have used it as a short-barrelled,Ssnurt-Wangeler Mk 5, nuclear sn-t hurler! (With the aid of a mini drill and PE sight of course)
Steve

Last edited:

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Just a brief update; very little achieved as I'm away from home acting as locum caretaker at my wife's school, hence no time at the bench during the week and no photo's as SWMBO (who does the tech bits)is away on a girls weekend with her BIS Jakarta teacher mates. I managed to get the cab on despite an absurd fit issue caused by the LH mudguard mounting being misplaced by about a millimetre (!) - remember mention of vague location points?. Tried to prise off the offending item but no luck! This led to placement issues with the bonnet ('hood' if you prefer!), resolved partly by removing a locating ridge on the offending mudguard and carving small sections away from the bulkhead base. A 1mm shim and a little filler will 'solve' the problem but there will need to be some innovative approaches to disguising the remedied errors on completion - perhaps a slight rethink of placement in the diorama or that modellers salvation - mud! Hopefully the crane section will be less demanding - the model is living on borrowed time! :thinking:
Steve

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hang in there Steve, I'm sure you will figger it out .......sometimes it's best to let it set awhile and come back to it with a fresh approach. I really like the progress you have made so far.
Cheers, Rick H.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Updates look Awesome Steve like Rick said stand back and take a break. Don’t get burned out on this one it looks too good to quit. Ask John Race for a cup of Yorkshire Tea seem to relax the clouded mind but I think it’s what he puts in it. Lol

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Yeah.....and if that don't work we can call Matron and she'll fix you up with a "Jab" of whatever and you'll be right as rain in a day or two! :tongue-out3: :tongue-out2::tongue-out:;):thumb2: Rick H.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Updates look Awesome Steve like Rick said stand back and take a break. Don’t get burned out on this one it looks too good to quit. Ask John Race for a cup of Yorkshire Tea seem to relax the clouded mind but I think it’s what he puts in it. Lol
By 'eck Lad - I've forgotten the healing properties of a Yorky brew - that'll do for sure!

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Yeah.....and if that don't work we can call Matron and she'll fix you up with a "Jab" of whatever and you'll be right as rain in a day or two! :tongue-out3: :tongue-out2::tongue-out:;):thumb2: Rick H.
Noooo, not Matron .....! Please! (Mind you her Staff Nurse is fit ..........! ) ;)