Airborne's Bussing-Nag Recovery Vehicle - I Hope!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Ohh yeah, I have noticed Bimbo trucks while out on the road Paul. Huh. And here I was thinking it meant something else. And that poor truck driver had to have been scared out of his wits, I must have followed him for miles before I finally gave up.
Hey John, you hear that ? No lame excuses on the Softee Donuts, Pal!
Sorry for the late reply Ron.
Only have normal suger coated ones.

Excuse us please Steve .

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking good Steve, you appear to have the chassis square , that's normally where I mess up .

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Sorry for the late reply Ron.
Only have normal suger coated ones.

Excuse us please Steve .
No worries John, any insight into the wilder excesses of my fellow modeller's fevered imaginations is a plus! That chassis isn't quite perfectly square yet but there's a great chunk of I-beam superstructure that should iron out any residual misalignment (I hope!).
Steve

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Can anybody tell me the purpose of the two 'objects' adjacent to the air tanks please?

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Steve
The build progresses and the vino bottle(s) become emptier :rolling: Despite the issues all is looking good. Hats off to you for sorting that chassis - that was horrible.
Jim

Reactions: JR

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Morn Steve,

The 3-ton crane was hand operated and used no PTO or such (sorry Dan). What the 2 parts are is anyone's guess. The crane,

Buessing_4500A_Cr_17-1.jpg
For Discussion Only
You can clearly see the crank handles here. On to the chassis,

Buessing_4500A_Cr_02-1.jpg
For Discussion Only
Nothing here that looks like the piece on the outside frame near the air tanks. The other side,

Buessing_4500A_Cr_12-1.jpg
For Discussion Only
Nothing here either. The inner piece could be from the early model of the 4500A and an air flow splitter for the air tanks. I have found no use for the piece (or even a pic) of the one on the outside frame piece. HTHs

Prost
Allen

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Morn Steve,

The 3-ton crane was hand operated and used no PTO or such (sorry Dan). What the 2 parts are is anyone's guess. The crane,

View attachment 435356
For Discussion Only
You can clearly see the crank handles here. On to the chassis,

View attachment 435357
For Discussion Only
Nothing here that looks like the piece on the outside frame near the air tanks. The other side,

View attachment 435358
For Discussion Only
Nothing here either. The inner piece could be from the early model of the 4500A and an air flow splitter for the air tanks. I have found no use for the piece (or even a pic) of the one on the outside frame piece. HTHs

Prost
Allen
Bizarrely Allen neither have I; I'm considering removing it as it just looks 'wrong'! I found theses pics also beautifully clear

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Would the Germans put a siren on the chassis? That's the only thing I can think it is

• Wow
Reactions: JR

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Air actuators likely for brake system.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Air actuators likely for brake system.
Wondered along a similar line Paul - however no reference material seems to support that, or even its existence.Considered it was some sort of vacuum device, for purposes unknown perhaps :upside: Any ways, it has now gone to the great automotive engineer in the sky (never liked the shape! or understood the plumbing) :cool:
Steve

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
If it was in 4BO I might be able to help Steve, however Allen did found some great photos.

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Likely safety valve & trailer/park push/pull valve or relay valve.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Likely safety valve & trailer/park push/pull valve or relay valve.
That's definitely a thought Paul, however I can't find any visual references to it so 'with a flick and a twist of my muscular wrist (and a snip of my sidecutters) I've thrown it right into the Bin! :smiling5:
Steve

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
You'll notice the air "glad hand" for the trailer air brakes near the trailer hitch in Allen's photo. They prolly didn't include the plumbing for all the parts necessary to represent the full air brake system in your model. Most not visible anyhow.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Think it had air over hydraulic brakes, like some modern 7.5T. The round cylinder on the inside of the chassis leg looks like the air powered handbrake cyl and on the outside the hydraulic brake master cylinder

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Steve
Glad you got the chassis sorted. Tight tolerances and trying for scale thickness is typical AFV. As you say it all becomes more solid as the build progresses.
Jim

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Steve
Glad you got the chassis sorted. Tight tolerances and trying for scale thickness is typical AFV. As you say it all becomes more solid as the build progresses.
Jim
Thanks Gents - minor updates this weekend (but no plumbing!) as I've been building at school again!
Steve