Airborne's Sgt. Joseph Gordon Mather MM, SAS, 120mm

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Blimey Steve..... Set yourself quite a task there:surprised:!!
.... Having said that,i can see why you`re taking it on,looks a very nice vignette of a proper "Hero" who carried out a dangerous and vital,if largely unrecognised,role :cool:,
I shall follow along with much interest mate:thumb2:,
Andy

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The picture has rotated again - no idea why as it was perfectly fine on the 'phone - sorry in advance for those with cricked necks :disappointed2:
Steve
I have sorted the picture and the title... ;) Hope thats OK.
What scale is he? 120mm?

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I have sorted the picture and the title... ;) Hope thats OK.
What scale is he? 120mm?
Thanks Ian! Yes, 120mm and beautifully cast - looking forward to starting this; as I said I hope I can do the man and the model justice! Thanks again!
Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks Ian! Yes, 120mm and beautifully cast - looking forward to starting this; as I said I hope I can do the man and the model justice! Thanks again!
Steve
Added to title. the scale that is. He does look rather nice. the sculpt that is.
A little info on the man:
Sergeant J G Mather MM G Squadron SAS (Royal Signals) commanded a four-man SAS patrol which was inserted into East Falkland by helicopter from the Naval Task Force at a distance of 120 miles from the islands. Mather maintained observations of the enemy movement and dispositions in the Bluff Cove, West Stanley areas for a period of 28 days. In a totally hostile environment, with the only protection from ground and air search provided by the skill and stealth of his patrol, the reporting by Sergeant Mather was both accurate and timely.
For the leadership and example shown Sergeant Mather was awarded the Military Medal. Mather Troop was named after him at 2nd Army Training Regiment at Pirbright.

Taken from the Royal Signals museum web page.

Last edited:

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Added to title. the scale that is. He does look rather nice. the sculpt that is.
A little info on the man:
Sergeant J G Mather MM G Squadron SAS (Royal Signals) commanded a four-man SAS patrol which was inserted into East Falkland by helicopter from the Naval Task Force at a distance of 120 miles from the islands. Mather maintained observations of the enemy movement and dispositions in the Bluff Cove, West Stanley areas for a period of 28 days. In a totally hostile environment, with the only protection from ground and air search provided by the skill and stealth of his patrol, the reporting by Sergeant Mather was both accurate and timely.
For the leadership and example shown Sergeant Mather was awarded the Military Medal. Mather Troop was named after him at 2nd Army Training Regiment at Pirbright.

Taken from the Royal Signals museum web page.
There is also the fact that the Argentinian forces were known to possess excellent signal interception mechanisms - this required him, and his patrol, to constantly change location - not easy when in close contact! :astonished:
Steve

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Interesting choice Steve, I’m looking forward to watching you paint it up.

Geoff.