Airbrush advice needed please

T

T. van Vuuren

Hi all.

I am looking at getting a good quality ( affordablility speaking) airbrush.

The one I am "eyeing" is a make called "Air-craft" gravity fed double action gun with 3 needles. IIRC a .3 a .4 and a .5mm setup.

Here is the question, what size needle is needed for a nice 1/48 feather edge cammo without resorting the "worm" masking?

What size needle is needed to lay down a base coat or clear coat without it taking for ever?

Thanx

Theuns

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Both my main airbrushes have either a 0.3 or 0.35 nozzle and I don't know which is which! You can see the freehand edge I did on my Fw190 which apart from the red/white and wing leading edge was sprayed without masking the "edges". I think it would represent a fairly loose edge at 1/48 fairly well,I'm sure it could even be tightened up a bit with perseverance. I spray my silk coats with the same set up but it would be quicker with a 0.5 nozzle. There is always a temptation to spray from too far away to increase coverage but this can mess up the finish.

Cheers

Steve

R

RM4U

Hi,

What you need for fine work is a fine needle and Nozzle, which will mean using a thinner paint. The larger the Neddle and Nozzle the thicker the paint you can use. A good airbrush will have a MAC valve attavhed the the airbrush such as the Iwata HP-CH which we use here, which is a .3mm set up and can be converted by three small parts to a .2mm nozzle setup. Another good alrounder is the Revolution TR2/1/0 versions which start with TR2 with .5mm, TR1 with .3mm and TR0 with .2mm so if you had a TR1 you could convert up and down as required. They also have a pistol trigger which does make airbrushing a bit quicker to learn.

May I suggest that you have a look at www.airbrushes.com at the Iwata Range.

I sell all Iwata at a 10% discount if you are interested. www.railwaymodels4u.co.uk

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Leslie.

T

T. van Vuuren

Thanx for the reply Leslie.

I would dearly love to have a good "name brand" brush, but allas my funds don't allow it now. The one I am looking at seems OKish and comes with 3 needle setups.

It sells for arround R395-00 (approx 35 odd UK Pounds)

Theuns.