Airbrush cleaning?

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi there can anyone give me some advice on cleaning an Iwata BR airbrush?. I'm using model colour and model air acrylic paints. I've been using an airbrush cleaner by Vallego.

It seems to do the trick flushing through with it. The vapours are not very good even though I'm spraying into wet kitchen roll and wearing a mask. Can anyone recommend a cleaning station with a filter?

Do I need to take the airbrush apart every time I've used it i.e take the needle out, remove the nozzle etc.

Vaughan

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Everyone develops a cleaning regime that suits them. I don't use a cleaning station though I'm sure someone will help you out with some advice.

I don't strip my airbrushes after every use. I give them a good flush and leave them with the needle pulled back from the nozzle. I've had needles stick in the nozzle before! I use Muc-Off, which is meant for cleaning mountain bikes, from Halfords as my airbrush cleaner. Remember to push the needle forward into the nozzle before your next session or you'll have a right mess. Ask me how I know LOL.

At the end of a project or if I have any problems I will strip and clean the airbrush. I give all the parts a spin in an ultrasonic cleaner.

Cheers

Steve

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
This is a good cleaning station back in stock tomorrow, as for cleaning your ab go to Halfords and buy a 5ltr tub of screen wash it will last you ages and will do as good a job as any other cleaner.

I take mine apart after every session, remove the nozzle and pull the needle out from the front, that way you aren't pulling paint back up through your brush, and when replacing it put it in the same way, always protect the point of the needle

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Steve beat me to it :smiling3:

M

m1ks

[video=youtube;k9YnScCetDo]

This is how I clean mine after a spraying session, nothing fancy required.

M

munkster

m1ks - been using your regime for a good few sessions now - works good for me!!

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Thanks all for the info.

Vaughan

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi Steve

What type of ultrasonic cleaner do you use? as I'm having problems with my airbrush it keeps clogging and I don't know if it's the warmer weather that affecting it.

Vaughan.