Airbrush/Compressor Combo Advice

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
No that's fine. Having one in the line should be enough. But i'd defo invest in those brushes

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Every now and then, I strip my airbrush down, and give it a deep clean in an Ultrasonic cleaner - lukewarm water, and liquid soap - I do this for about 1/2 hour, and it's amazing how much crud you can get out. I also use a nozzle cleaner
nozzle cleaner.jpg
( the Scale Model Shop shop sells these ). I gently clean the nozzle cap ( it's not a reamer! ), and scrape off any build up. I do this after every use. If I suspect the nozzle itself, then I have some fine steel wire ( about 0.15mm ), to see if there are any obstructions ( with the nozzle removed!). I always clean my a/b straight after use, and never let it sit for more than 5 mins with paint in it. I have in the past resurrected needles, with metal polish, and a porcelain tile, but that's a last resort.
I used to deep clean my airbrush regularly, but I found that I created more problems through wear on the 'o' rings, so now less often. Before I put my a/b away, I spray a mix of water & washing up liquid through it. I've never really believed in the proprietary air brush cleaner solutions.
Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Perfect answer from Dave.
You'd be surprised how much crud gets into the nozzle, the cleaner Dave shows is a must, also the ultra sonic cleaner, I use windscreen wash in mine now. No problems with the modern seals.
Also have the odd dental brush, great for getting into the body with the nozzle out.
John .