Airbrush/Compressor Combo Advice

I

Isaac Horner

Does anyone know of a good airbrush/compressor combo that is between £0-£100? Any advice would be greatly appriciated.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Isaac .

1546366526839.png
Not sure about the airbrush but this set comes from John's shop here on the forum.
Think a lot of the guys have the compressor, I do and always done well .
John is out of stock at the moment, but you can find these on the net as well . It comes in under the £ 100 mark.
John.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Your welcome, you didn't say where you hail from so hope its in the UK.
John .

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Your welcome, you didn't say where you hail from so hope its in the UK.
John .

John as long as he's not from yorkshire then he'll be fine. Us yellow bellies have to be particular who we talk to :tongue-out3: lol

Reactions: JR

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I

Isaac Horner

Thank you very much John, the first product link seems very good.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Isaac,
been using the AS186 for many years now - and recently bought a 0.2mm Airbrush from John at Scale Model Shop.
Don't worry about the Yorkshire jibes, those who weren't born there are always jealous
Dave

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I used the AS186 for several years and it is a good compressor.

The packaged airbrushes are OK but I would recommend that you get a gravity fed a/b such as in the links John provides. A time may come when you decide to upgrade the airbrush though but these bundled ones are a good place to start.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi guys ive done a bit of airbrushing for the first time an I must admit I dint like how it turned out but looking at your model's on here im beginning to have a rethink about buying one. but out of the two that are mentioned above which is the best one ? chris

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Chris,
I don't know about 'best', as I haven't owned both type of compressor, BUT I have owned an AS 186 since September 2013. It is reliable, portable, and quiet enough to be able to hold a conversation when running. The air tank gives a continuous steady flow at your set pressure. The cylinder head gets hot, but I've never had it cut out on overheating.
Airbrushing takes practice, finding the correct pressures, and the right ratio of mix for your style can only really be found by trying them out...................
Dave

J

JOC1987

Isaac .

View attachment 324591
Not sure about the airbrush but this set comes from John's shop here on the forum.
Think a lot of the guys have the compressor, I do and always done well .
John is out of stock at the moment, but you can find these on the net as well . It comes in under the £ 100 mark.
John.

I have one of these airbrushes and it’s a good bit of kit, but I’ve developed a problem with it where it isn’t drawing the paint out of the cup when I try and use it.

When the paint is drawn down, it isn’t a a consistent spray pattern which is produced, but instead there are “large” blotches which get sprayed everywhere with little to no control.

I have stripped the guns down to individual components and cleaned them as best as I can and there is no obvious remnants of paint on the inside that I can see.

I’m operating it at a fairly low pressure - 1.5 bar (21 psi) - and I’ve tried adjusting the pressure to see if this helps but, alas, no.

Are there any tips or pieces of advice anyone could provide to me about where I can get a new set of o-rings/seals to see if this can alleviate the problem or just something that I am missing.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I'm just about to order a set of airbrush cleaning brushes off the net. I've had the same problem. Thought i had totally cleaned the airbrush tip but just a spec of paint was holding the needle away enough to mess things up

J

JOC1987

I’ve had the nozzle and the needle bathed in nail varnish remover (recommended by a friend with the same airbrush and no issues) and airbrush cleaner and scrubbed them right out but I’ve still got the issue

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
You do have a water trap on your airline too?

J

JOC1987

There’s the trap which you can see to the side of the photo which the airline screws into, is there another one on the brush that I could be unaware of?