Airbrush - H&S which one ?

C

Charlie3838

Hi all, just joined the forum. Returning to building scale models after a long absence.
Currently getting all the kits and tools ready. Going for the following airbrush set up:

Compressor - AS186S (when it's back in stock next month)
Airbrush - H&S, but not decided whether to go for Evolution Silverline 2 in 1 or Ultra 2 in 1

All advice would be greatly appreciated

Charlie3838

Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Sorry Steven, never used that kit. Welcome to the forum though, what is your main interest?

D

Deleted member 7917

Airbrush - H&S, but not decided whether to go for Evolution Silverline 2 in 1 or Ultra 2 in 1
Stephen, there are plenty of informative YouTube video reviews of both which should give you enough info to make the choice that suits you. I have an Evolution which I'm pleased with but that doesn't mean it will meet your own needs. Good luck ...

D

Deleted member 7181

Unlike some other manufacturers the H&S airbrushes are all very similar, and many parts can be exchanged between the models, you just get more "toys" as you move up the range.

The Ultra has a different cup to the others in the range (push fit instead of screw in), so you couldn't swap around if you bought another one from their range (but the needle & nozzle would fit most of them)

The Evo silver has the paint flow adjuster on the back as well as the standard screw in cup, so that and the needle, etc can be swapped between most of the range.

Either would be a good stand-alone brush, but those points are things to consider if you plan to expand your range at a later date.

As for the compressor, the AS186 seems to have been a good choice at one point but a few of us are having/have had issues with newer ones. Maybe the quality has dropped with so many people cloning it. I couldn't in all honesty recommend one right now, even though some have had trouble free service for years.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Stephen welcome to the forum.

I have both the Ultra and the more expensive Evo. Both well made and spares readily available from Scale Model Shop.

As Andy rightly says most parts, like the needles , air caps, and nozzles can be changed.
Suppose it depends now on the price you want to pay, a little more and you get the better flow with the Evo.

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Hi Stephen and a welcome from me too.

I can vouch for the Ultra being a good airbrush to start with, have one for four years now, works with different solvents and a rugged and easy to clean design:thumb2:

C

Charlie3838

Thank you for reply, much appreciated.

My main interests are fighter planes and aerospace; and plan to build the Airfix 1:144 once I have got all the tools and kits ready.

On airbrush, the Evolution silverline 2 in 1 seems to be the better option for me. I understand it will be back in stock next week

C

Charlie3838

Unlike some other manufacturers the H&S airbrushes are all very similar, and many parts can be exchanged between the models, you just get more "toys" as you move up the range.

The Ultra has a different cup to the others in the range (push fit instead of screw in), so you couldn't swap around if you bought another one from their range (but the needle & nozzle would fit most of them)

The Evo silver has the paint flow adjuster on the back as well as the standard screw in cup, so that and the needle, etc can be swapped between most of the range.

Either would be a good stand-alone brush, but those points are things to consider if you plan to expand your range at a later date.

As for the compressor, the AS186 seems to have been a good choice at one point but a few of us are having/have had issues with newer ones. Maybe the quality has dropped with so many people cloning it. I couldn't in all honesty recommend one right now, even though some have had trouble free service for years.

Can you give me some details on the issues you have with the newer models ? Are they AS186S ? Thx

D

Deleted member 7181

I've had mine in pieces 4 times in just over a year for various things. Not starting up, not producing much air, not cutting out properly when it gets up to pressure.

If you look through some of the posts in this section, or use the search facility top right , you'll see similar stories.

You'll also see comments from those that have had years of trouble free service, so it seems like a lottery whether you get a good one or not.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I did mess mine up in trying to protect the needle but puting it in from the front !

All worked well until I had a new V2 needle, the identifying rings at the rear of the needle distorted and pushed out the inner seal of the ab. My fault entirely.
Bought a new ab and Ultra and is running well .

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Hi Stephen

Of those the Evo is definately the better one due to its greater flexibility and compatability with other H&S airbrushes. I have two Evos and an Infinity, all parts compatable with each other. My main workhorse now though is a Topnotch Pro with a pistol grip/trigger set up as it is better for long spraying sessions and control. It is not as easy to break down and clean as the H&S though.

I started with an AS186 myself and it worked faultlessly for 5 years when it packed up. I certainly got my money's worth.

C

Charlie3838

Hi Stephen

Of those the Evo is definately the better one due to its greater flexibility and compatability with other H&S airbrushes. I have two Evos and an Infinity, all parts compatable with each other. My main workhorse now though is a Topnotch Pro with a pistol grip/trigger set up as it is better for long spraying sessions and control. It is not as easy to break down and clean as the H&S though.

I started with an AS186 myself and it worked faultlessly for 5 years when it packed up. I certainly got my money's worth.
Thank you, Barry.

C

Charlie3838

I did mess mine up in trying to protect the needle but puting it in from the front !

All worked well until I had a new V2 needle, the identifying rings at the rear of the needle distorted and pushed out the inner seal of the ab. My fault entirely.
Bought a new ab and Ultra and is running well .

Thank you, the AS186S (which comes with a cooling fan) will be in stock till mid July. There are similar Fengda FD 186 on Amazon which has good reviews. I believe they are same model, just without the fan, and cheaper at about £87. Is it worth paying extra for the cooling fan ? Thx