Airbrush outdoor metal furniture

First Name
Hans
Any suggestions about paint for outdoor metal furniture?

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hammerite - smooth or crackelure perhaps? Or any of the spray can auto paints!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Yep, I wouldn’t go and airbrush that unless you’re after an artistic finish that needs the finesse of an airbrush. Car paints from an aerosol can are likely your best bet. Or, if you’re willing to spend more money, bring them to a car paint shop (calling @Paintg… oh, wait … :sad:).

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Depending on the state, I took my old gates in to a firm that sandblasted them and then recoated them, was quite reasonable as I recall.

Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Unless you have a large capacity compressor I’d go with rattle cans as Jakko, or sandblasted as Dave. Sandblasting will eliminate a really tedious and messy clean up job as well…..

D

Deleted member 5496

Proper job.

1st if possible sand blast. If not sand down & remove all rust. Smooth bare metal with 1200 gauge wet & dry sandpaper. Primer then covers all with out small metal spikes with out compromising the coverage.

2nd. apply by hand brushing Red Oxide Metal primer. Been proved over many years in the building industry. Brushing is best as you get better & thicker coverage.

3d. Dulux undercoat & gloss (or similar) all handbrushed. Hand brushing will give a better thickness & coverage with little chance of pinholes.. Plus you only get the paint on the chair. Providing the preparation is good handbrushing will be smooth always be better in wearing qualities. That is unless you have professional cellulose facilities.

Regret but having once use Hammerite on metal on a boat found it is porous. Due to its nature very minute pin holes form & water gets through those pinholes.
May be ok over a primer. On the boat pin hole rust occured in a week & not just one pinhole. It is also very brittle.. Never used within the building industry..

Laurie

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'd have powder coating done, its by far the most effective way of getting a good finish and removing any chance of rust. I had a cold frame done which I had tried to save. Tried everything even Hammerite but the rust always came back.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Proper job.

1st if possible sand blast. If not sand down & remove all rust. Smooth bare metal with 1200 gauge wet & dry sandpaper. Primer then covers all with out small metal spikes with out compromising the coverage.

2nd. apply by hand brushing Red Oxide Metal primer. Been proved over many years in the building industry. Brushing is best as you get better & thicker coverage.

3d. Dulux undercoat & gloss (or similar) all handbrushed. Hand brushing will give a better thickness & coverage with little chance of pinholes.. Plus you only get the paint on the chair. Providing the preparation is good handbrushing will be smooth always be better in wearing qualities. That is unless you have professional cellulose facilities.

Regret but having once use Hammerite on metal on a boat found it is porous. Due to its nature very minute pin holes form & water gets through those pinholes.
May be ok over a primer. On the boat pin hole rust occured in a week & not just one pinhole. It is also very brittle.. Never used within the building industry..

Laurie
Only good thing with hammerite, is that it can be really thinned (something like 2 thinners to 1 paint) which will get it into crooks and crannies and still cover reasonably well, but without the hammered finish, (which is where the pinholes come along) though not a fan of it myself, having used it over the years and got poor results.