airbrush problems HELP!!!!!!

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi Mike sounds like a good idea will try it. I had been thinking about going down that road thanks for reminding me. I'm using a Iwata BR at the moment with a 0.3 needle and thought that might be a cause in conjunction with the warmer weather. It's a bit frustrating as I've only been able to work early in the morning or late at night. Thanks again.

Vaughan

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I have a .02mm needle and have never had any problems with the warmth of the room what psi are you running

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi John

running on 20psi but have tried reducing it down to 15psi what would you recommend as far as thinning the modelair paint distilled water? model air own thinners ? it says on the bottle use sparingly I have tried both. I have bought an ultrasonic cleaner to make sure that the nozzle and needle are as clean as possible. I'm thinking should I try a different acrylic paint such as xtracrylic from Hannants but I have spent over £40 on modelair already as they worked fine when I was building the BF109F 4 weeks ago so not sure what road to go down it's very frustrating. I love the finish that an airbrush gives it raises your model building to another level.

Vaughan

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I think someone already mentioned that lowering your pressure will help prevent paint drying at the tip. Don't swap to Xtracrylix! I use them a lot and they are great paints but I did find it tricky to get them to spray properly. I used a lot of trial and error with a liberal sprinkling of swearing.

I strongly suggest that you try adding a drop of retardant to your paint in the paint cup. Some proprietary thinners already contain one but I thin with water (which is free) and add retardant (which is cheap).

Here's the one I use.

Artist supply and hobby shops will have it or an equivalent. That bottle cost less than six quid and I've had it for literally years.

Cheers

Steve

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi there Steve

I took your advice and bought some retarder by vallejo not sure if the stuffs ok as seems rather thick but maybe that how it's supposed to be. Tried it but still had problems. Saying that I sprayed a spare fuselage half, this morning, the clear plastic one from the BF109G6 Trumpeter kit using modelair with no retarder and it worked fine. The mystery deepens as to why the airbrush is working ok now. Maybe it's down to how I'm cleaning the airbrush.

I don't know.

Vaughan

View attachment 34217

View attachment 34218

_MG_0191.JPG

_MG_0197.JPG

T

tecdes

Noticed the other day that I was not pushing the air button down as far as it would go & I was not getting the normal results until I came to.

Just a thought Vaughan to make sure that is not the problem you have experienced.

Laurie