Airbrush query...

D

Deleted member 7181

That's because they think it contains silicones, which it doesn't. It cleans off easily with ordinary panel wipes.
Pete
They are a suspicious and superstitious bunch.

Personally I've had more issues with deodorant, perfume & conditioners than I've ever had with WD40.

We once had to pretty much decontaminate the paint mixing room after a visitor wearing particularly strong perfume came in. Nothing but fish eyes in all the subsequent jobs!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John, I read in the infinity manual that only certain parts should be put in a US cleaner.

Is that something I should pay attention to (if I get one) or is it not an issue?

I've been spraying mostly solvent/lacquer lately but the way this thing handles VJ that may change.
Andy.
Hi , I've had my Ultra 4 years and never had to change any seals. When I strip it down as with the Infinity, I only put the cup, needle assy ( stripped ) and the needle in the tank. I put the head end into the tank and let the fluid get inside the threads, press the trigger and blow some air through, then clean. Leave the other bits in the tank , them check etc and reassemble.
I only use acrylics, and most modern ab seals are not effected by the cleaners .

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
They are a suspicious and superstitious bunch.

Personally I've had more issues with deodorant, perfume & conditioners than I've ever had with WD40.

We once had to pretty much decontaminate the paint mixing room after a visitor wearing particularly strong perfume came in. Nothing but fish eyes in all the subsequent jobs!
Andy,
I had a rep come into the workshop with his area manager waving an aerosol tin of slip for the planner. " This is what you need " he said, " Really" said I , at this stage concerned that is was silicone, based , which of course it was . After telling him to remove it and the reasons why I didn't want to have to spend time trying to get the silicone out of the timber.
Yes the dreaded fish eye, the only way to carry on after much cleaning of the wood surface was a coat of French Polish as a sealant coat. Then carry on as usual .

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Paul,
I'd do the same as Steve, throw away and buy a new one. :tears-of-joy: Kidding aside I haven't thrown my 35year old Badger 150. It's a sucker...meaning it's not a gravity feed airbrush. Have taken it apart once a blue moon and only replaced the needle, nozzle tip through heavy handling while doing one of those blue moon sessions, I pushed the needle in very hard and cracked the tip of the nozzle. Also replaced the trigger because it got worn out... I pull to the left so perhaps I need re-alignment. :smiling5:

How did I get it to last this long? Well, with dilligent flushing of appropriate thinners for the relevant paints immediately after every change of paint and not letting paint sit and dry in the well. Sometimes I continue with the next color by changing the cups. Thinner loaded cutips and tiny cut sponges are used to wipe paint build ups on the crown and cup rings. I use tooth picks to eek out any stubborn remains. Wood is hard enough and yet soft enough not to damage polished metal that's why tooth picks are best for canopy clean ups if there is a paint creep under the masking.

For acrylics I use Windex window cleaners as it contains amonia to flush the airbrush. If I could pee into the cup I would. :tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy: But I rarely us acrylics...inks yes in the past for my artworks. Tammi paints has always been good to my airbrushing when I found that it wasn't true acrylics.

After these many years the 150 is now relegated to coating base colors and the occassional misting. It also does good spattering effects.

You only need to breakdown the parts when there is a major blockage or necessary replacements if you practise the quick clean methods I just explained but if you want to go the full Monty it's ok just be light with the handling.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 7181

Andy.
Hi , I've had my Ultra 4 years and never had to change any seals. When I strip it down as with the Infinity, I only put the cup, needle assy ( stripped ) and the needle in the tank. I put the head end into the tank and let the fluid get inside the threads, press the trigger and blow some air through, then clean. Leave the other bits in the tank , them check etc and reassemble.
I only use acrylics, and most modern ab seals are not effected by the cleaners .
Brilliant John, thanks.

Richard, that's an impressive amount of time! Some of my Iwata spray guns are still in daily service after 10 years of heavy use. My clearcoat gun has sprayed many thousands of cars in that time, so I'm hoping with similar care my new H&S airbrush should last at least as long.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Andy, you've got some great top of the line AB's and with your knowledge of spraying and maintenance they should last a lifetime.

Cheers,
Richard

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I've got an ultrasonic cleaner, 50W ultrasonic + 50W heating, but I'm a bit wary of using it for the airbrush, after it stripped some of the black 'titanium' plating off my watch strap.
Pete

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I thought the WD40 comment would raise a few eyebrows, as it did mine. The thing is, the idea came from a reliable source. It works. I don't do it every time, but my airbrush do have Teflon seals if that makes any difference..

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I thought the WD40 comment would raise a few eyebrows, as it did mine. The thing is, the idea came from a reliable source. It works. I don't do it every time, but my airbrush do have Teflon seals if that makes any difference..

Colin, that's something I want to try. The 150 I have has had Teflon seals from day one. Perhaps that's the reason for its longevity. :smiling4:

Cheers,
Richard