Airbrush testing?

dubster72

Patrick
First Name
Patrick
There's often a lot of questions asked about which airbrush is the best & considerably more options & opinions in reply!

So I had a thought - and yes. I've trapped it for future perusal!

Wouldn't it be good to be able to ' test-drive ' an airbrush before committing to buying it?

I was thinking that John could have a few of them, ranging from the cheap one's to the expensive types that forum members could buy on sale or return. They'd try it out for a week or two & if it didn't suit their needs, return in it.

That way the only cost incurred is the postage.

There would need to be a few points clearly stated :

1) The airbrush IS a demonstration item & therefore would have been used before.

2) After the trial period, the airbrush must be returned cleaned & undamaged.

If the buyer likes the airbrush, they return the tester for a brand-new one.

The test airbrushes are ultrasonically cleaned after each trial to ensure the next user gets it as close to unused as possible.

Personally I use a cheap AB & am happy with it. However, I'd like to see what a £200+ one is like, but baulk at the thought of spending that much only to find hardly any difference.

So any thoughts people?

Cheers

Patrick

dougie

searching for the time to build and post on SMF!
First Name
Dougi3
not such a bad idea, provided that the user actually buys the brush from John and doesn't just get it somewhere else to save a few quid. A refundable deposit on the brus against the new one would work.

John

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The only problem from my end is that I could have many hundreds of pounds worth of stock that I could never sell, someone could want to try a £400 airbrush and decide it doesn't work any better than what they have, send it back and I'm then stuck with it.

I do stock 3 cheap airbrushes and I have one of each that I don't show in stock as they are for my testing, I would be happy for someone to try them on a sale or return basis

dubster72

Patrick
First Name
Patrick
John, it's true that a certain amount of investment would be required at your end ; say 4 airbrushes at a selection of price points - £30, £100, £200, £300 for example.

However each of these 4 are demo items & would be returned after each trial to be trialed out again. Plus they are tax deductible! Alternatively, have just one £200 airbrush as a starter.

I'm thinking that the margin on such an item is probably higher than a £30 one & also there's probably a lot of people loath to step up to that higher price point, so the potential market is big.

From my research, no-one offers this service. Only at shows can one have a very brief trial of a different airbrush.

But as I said, it was just an idea. When I've got £200 burning a hole in my pocket, I always think " hmm new expensive airbrush? ", but I don't take the plunge for fear that it wouldn't be sufficiently better than my current cheap one. With this kind of option, I'd definitely go for the trial.

And all surveys say that the proportion of customers who return demo items is tiny compared to those who keep them ;)