airbrush thinners and airbrush flow improver ??

W

windymiller

carrying on with my theme of dumb questions could i ask what is the difference between the two products ?? and their differing uses ?? (if ya dont ask ya dont learn :relieved: ) and i guess im talking about the vallejo series

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
As far as I know, thinner thins the paint (obvs :smiling3:) whereas flow improver reduces teh surface tension and helps the paint flow over the surface better, and I believe reduces tip dry.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I guess so. I've not used flow improver, and I hate Vallejo paints.

You would definitely need to use thinner, few paints are airbrush ready (at least the ones I've used). The flow improver more so if you need it, ie if you are having tip drying issues or other flow issues. I coulds be massively wrong here, in which case someone will be along shortly to correct me. :smiling3:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Alan,
I've only really used flow improver when the weather has been hot - like last summer. The paint was virtually drying as it came out of the airbrush, and giving a very poor finish, so the improver increases the drying time. I also feel ( just my opinion ) that it reduces the paint adhesion, a thing that thinners does not do. If you can not use flow improver, it's probably better! I've been using Vallejo, Hataka, AK, & Mig Acrylics, and to be honest, I don't think that any one brand is better than the other! ( again just my opinion !)
Dave

Last edited:
W

windymiller

ta dave and would i be right in assuming "thinners" would be universal (acrylic) against differing manufacturers ?? if so what do you guys use ? (dumb question no 8) !!!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Alan,
I don't use thinners - I just use tap water - it works for me, so I don't bother with the makers brews. I'm not at all sure about compatibility between brands - I'd have to defer to others with more experience of this
Dave

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I use Vallejo paints Alan and I assume you are referring to Model Air and Model Color. Model Air is designed to be used in the airbrush and Model Color for the paintbrush. However the range of Model Color colours is a good one and more often than not you will want to put them in your airbrush. At this point they will need to be thinned down for use in the airbrush. Water is effective however I use blue liquid windolene. You will also come across issues with the odd bottle of Model Air as well. So if you find the flow is poor or the needle is clogging then add some water/windolene. If you are airbrushing for some time using any acrylic keep a damp cloth handy to repeatedly clean the needle and nozzle to prevent the build up of drying paint. I personally use airbrush cleaner in this instance. Happy painting

W

windymiller

hmmm i have so so much to learn :anguished: was just wondering to maybe buy some primer to practice using the airbrush

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Alan,

I’ve recently switched over to using AMMO Mig acrylics after years of using Tamiya paint.

The thinner seems to work well but I had the paint drying on the needle tip, a common problem when ever I’ve used true acrylics in the airbrush. No big problem as I used a damp cotton bud to clean the tip.

I’ve also recently used vallejo flow improver with Vallejo paint and had some reasonable results.
I would go with your instincts and get some to try.
Hth

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I started airbrushing a few years back now. I spent ages practising using different paint makes, as well as acrylics v enamels. The market place is so big because every one is different. Also what a figure painter may use could be totally different to an AFV painter. So have a good practice and keep watching the You Tube vids and as always ypu can ask this motley crew :smiling3:. There will always be help and advice here from someone

W

windymiller

ultimate primer seems to get good feedback / reviews anyone used it ??

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Alan,
I've used Ultimate Primer - it's very good. Then, I tried Stynylrez Primer ( Scale Model Shop have it in stock) when I couldn't get any UP, and I found it even better! It seems to suit the way I use my airbrush, pressure, distance etc. I'm afraid it's a matter of trying a few, and settling on the one which gives you the best results
Dave

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I've always thought you should use thinner from the same manufacturer as the paint - if you use paint A with thinner B, and it doesn't work, who are you going to blame? Water seems to work well with all the acrylics I've tried though.

Also if you try flow improver, be aware that it slows the drying time, so spray thin coats and leave plenty of time between coats, or the paint will stay tacky for ages - don't ask how I know!

Pete

W

windymiller

120ml grey out of stock lol but ta for the heads up
Alan,
I've used Ultimate Primer - it's very good. Then, I tried Stynylrez Primer ( Scale Model Shop have it in stock) when I couldn't get any UP, and I found it even better! It seems to suit the way I use my airbrush, pressure, distance etc. I'm afraid it's a matter of trying a few, and settling on the one which gives you the best results
Dave

W

windymiller

I've always thought you should use thinner from the same manufacturer as the paint - if you use paint A with thinner B, and it doesn't work, who are you going to blame? Water seems to work well with all the acrylics I've tried though.

Also if you try flow improver, be aware that it slows the drying time, so spray thin coats and leave plenty of time between coats, or the paint will stay tacky for ages - don't ask how I know!

Pete
I'd blame me asi haven't got a scooby doo what I'm doing at mo !!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Alan,
Dave
Dave I read that Ultimate primer is in fact Stynylrez primer, think it was on their web site. Use either now when available.
John

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
From the Scale modelling now website:
"These new primers from Ultimate Products is a collaboration between Ultimate and Badger in the USA whereby Ultimate is bringing in the Badger primer and making it available to the UK and European market. The product is from the Badger compound STYNYLREZ and the Ultimate Primer is a water-based acrylic polyurethane self-levelling primer.

What I like about these primers is that it comes ready-thinned so that you can just spray it or apply with a brush straight from the bottle.
"

Pete

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Alan , Ive had so much trouble with tip drying using both Mig Ammo and Vallejo that I now use Vallejo flow improver every time . The most important thing is the amount, 1 drop of improver to 10 drops of paint, any more and the paint will not adhere.
John .