Airbrush Weathering : Acrylics : MIG JIMENZ

L

Laurie

Asked and found a couple of weeks ago that not much seemed to be known about weathering with acrylics.

Being allergic to enamels in many ways both through breathing, smell and living in a small flat they are not open to my use.

But found after a lot of searching utube etc there were not any good tutorials. They were very sketchy and mostly boring.

However the search ended when I found Mig Jimenez DVD on "Acrylic Techniques" . A really well produced professional DVD which goes from the simple to the more pro side.

Mig Jimenz first comment is you can do the same with acrylics as you can with enamels. Enamel Types take that up with him not me. :D He goes on to say but the techniques for acrylics are different from those of enamel.

The DVD as stated on the cover includes washes chipping fadings rust grease and much more. The DVD demonstrates the weathering of a tank but aircraft men do not be deterred as the techniques explained will be the same for aircraft etc.

The DVD is sponsored by : yes got it in one Vallejo :P It also comes with a little booklet with pictures of all the products used in the DVD.

This man is a magician and has in the DVD carefully explained all you need to know from scratch. The clips showing the techniques with the airbrush are superb. the DVD is 56 minutes long. Certainly the best by a long way of all the DVD on model making I have viewed. So much easier to pick up by video than reading an instruction book.

Laurie

VAL75000.jpg

J

John Rixon

I bought this on your recommendation Laurie, and it is excellent! 56 minutes of good info and sensibly paced and pitched. There's nothing like watching someone actually do this for real, to see that it isn't rocket science, just techniques that can be learned. I shudder to think what all the products used add up to,but if folks are having as much fun as I am, I suspect it's worth it!

D

dubster72

It would be sponsored by Vallejo as Mig used to be co-owner & was the brains behind Model Colour & Air. That's before he left & started AK Interactive & Ammo.

It'll be good to see what you can use from the DVD on your Op Herrick vehicles Laurie.

L

Laurie

\ said:
It would be sponsored by Vallejo as Mig used to be co-owner & was the brains behind Model Colour & Air. That's before he left & started AK Interactive & Ammo.It'll be good to see what you can use from the DVD on your Op Herrick vehicles Laurie.
You are right Patrick but please do not look to close I know you professional enamel weathering types. We look up to you (a bit) and you look down on us.

As John has said it is so much easier to learn from watching rather than a book. Or some of the YouTube stuff with cameras racing around objects and not knowing what the bods are talking about half the time. Meant well but very frustrating at times.. This is an excellent production by Mig both for starters and Pros in the Acrylic group.

Laurie

J

John Rixon

I've just finished watching it, and I have to say, it's a ripper! Many of the techniques remain common to oil based ones, as far as I can see, but the working practices are altered by the speed of drying. What is apparent, is that there are many techniques that are totally common to the art world, glazes, washes, brush skills etc. it has given my an understanding of the whole process, from bare plastic to finished item, which is a real gift for a noob such as myself. I really wanted to keep oil based products to a minimum, as I can't stand the smell of the stuff, and was always too impatient as an artist, to wait until the damned stuff dried! I personally regard it as a tenner very well spent!

First Name
Aaron
Is this the 1 hour build DVD?

I have this saved on my utube playlist. Great vid.

First Name
Aaron
I have a link to Migs masterclass winter special DVD if anyone wants a watch.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dubster72

If it's the one where he paints the Tasca 1/24 Panzer II, I've seen that on YouTube myself. The techniques are much the same as those I use with enamels & oils.

L

Laurie

\ said:
Is this the 1 hour build DVD?I have this saved on my utube playlist. Great vid.
The tank, regret most tanks look the same to me gun and all that, but the tank has 811 on it's side.

As John says for some one new to model making and also new as I am to weathering it is a great in to the subject. Also has a little booklet with it giving colours used. All ha ha I wonder why Vallejo paints.

Laurie

J

John Rixon

I just loved watching his brush work in the chipping section, real artistry!

D

dubster72

\ said:
You are right Patrick but please do not look to close I know you professional enamel weathering types. We look up to you (a bit) and you look down on usLaurie
I knew something had been rattling around in my head!

I did use Vallejo acrylics once upon a time & my Panzer II was done entirely that way, so it's quite possible to get the same results with either type of paint

L

Laurie

\ said:
I did use Vallejo acrylics once upon a time & my Panzer II was done entirely that way, so it's quite possible to get the same results with either type of paint
Wow Patrick that is some admission. Very nice as well the tank that is. I did when starting modelling about 5 or 6 years ago begin with Humbrol. Even though at that time in a garage I found it just to much, the smell. Also although very tidy as a person I am a bit of a messy workeer and found acrylics so much easier to mop up and clean.

In the end what ever the media it is the skill and perseverance of the person in using the materials to their best advantage.

Laurie

D

dubster72

I absolutely agree, it matters little what type of paint is used, it's the use they're put to that counts!

The main issue I had with Vallejo (other than tip clogging) was it's opacity which made shading more difficult. As I get older & more worried about the health of my lungs, I might have to go back to acrylics!