Airbrushed paint getting scratched easily

Xenoclast

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nikola
Greetings All,

I'm new both here in the website and in modeling, started with my first model a few weeks ago. My only information for the hobby so far comes from various YouTube channels, and since I encountered some issues I was hoping I can get some guidance here.

Here is my actual problem:
20210119_212713.jpg

I get these super nasty scratches when I handle the model working on other sections or it contacts something sharper than a napkin. I get the same effect intentionally by pushing the tip of my fingernail against the surface, without dragging it at all or applying too much pressure. I do not suppose the paint is this fragile to begin with, if applied correctly? I know people are painting minis and actively playing with them.

I have applied two coats of acrylic paint (Revell Aqua Color), thinning with the airbrush thinner by Vallejo. I have primed the surface with a single coat of Tamiya Surface Primer spray. I'm using a super basic airbrush but I doubt the model matters for this issue.

Is this is a simple case of applying more coats of paint? Will I not lose definition in the panel gaps if I keep on layering? It seems like in some places they are getting filled with paint. Initially I started getting these scratches after a single coat, but the second one did not help one bit.

I don't seem to be getting the same effect on parts I painted with a brush and the same paint, it's like I manage to apply a more uneven but thicker coats of paint.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Last edited:

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Don't have experience with revell aqua colors, but how long did those layers dry? They might need more time to cure (not same as dry).
Hope someone can help you out. Cheers
Steven

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Nikola
Welcome to the forum.
Your paint looks very matt even for matt paint. Your problem could be that the paint is drying before it hits the surface of the model. This would give a powdery surface which is easily damaged. You could over spray with a matt varnish to stabilise the surface. In future perhaps spray closer to the model at a lower pressure.
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Nikola
Welcome to the forum. I think Jim and Steven may have nailed your problem.
Regarding gaming figures, most painters don’t handle the figure during painting, mounting it on something that acts as a support. They then finish the figure with varnish coats to protect the figure during gaming.

Xenoclast

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nikola
Hello Gents,

Thank you for the welcome and quick replies!

Steven, the paint was sprayed days ago and it's still scratching off like this.

Jim, it does look super matt indeed. It almost has a dusty feel to it when touched, unlike all other matt paints on the model (some of them gray as well) - this is Aqua Color #57. In case it dries before it hits the surface, should I try thinning more? I have bought a satin varnish that I intended to airbrush at some point, but I'm still researching the order of things - is it okay to paint, varnish, panel line and decal in this order? Does the varnish itself really make that much of a difference for the paint protection? I thought it adds a more cosmetic look.

Does anyone have Revell Aqua Color experience? I was thinking about switching to Tamiya or AK because of this.

Thanks again!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Nikola,
welcome to the forum. The dusty appearance really suggests that the paint is drying too early. Thinning may help, but that will mean more coats. I would try reducing the airbrush air pressure, and spraying closer to the model. If you're spraying at normal temperatures, that should work. Only at high temperatures it may be necessary to use a flow improver/retarder. Revell Aqua is a paint, I have used occasionally, but I use Vallejo & AK, they are available in much wider ranges of colours & finishes.
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The dusty feel confirms Jim’s prognosis. Don't dilute any more, try spraying at a lower pressure or closer to the model. You should be able to see the paint hitting the model wet. It is a balancing act though, you don’t want it too wet so it runs and spiders.....
Airbrushing can be something that is tricky to get right. It just needs practice and experience.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Nikola,
Welcome to the forum. I can't really add anymore the guys have covered the issue. Good luck with future attempts.

Xenoclast

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nikola
Thanks for the additional comments and warm welcome!

The paint looks wet when hitting the surface and stays like this for some seconds before starting to dry out. I'm already at 20PSI/1.3bar, should I reduce even lower than that? The temp is around 19-20 Celsius. As far as the spraying range, I usually do it from around 3-4cm and I thought that was too close already.

I'm still not sure if the numbers help and this can be more of an exact science.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Welcome Nikloa can't add any more to whats been said, but look fwd to seeing you on here posting your builds.:thumb2:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Nikola
You say you are spraying at 20psi. Compressor pressure gauges are not always accurate so it may be over that. I would try reducing that pressure. Distance seems about right.
Will I not lose definition in the panel gaps if I keep on layering? It seems like in some places they are getting filled with paint.
If your paint is obscuring detail the paint coat is too heavy, either the primer or the top coat or both. Although Tamiya primer in an aerosol is excellent it is very easy to put on a too heavy coat. You should aim to only lay down enough paint to just cover.
You could also try Dave's suggestion of adding a little Acrylic Paint Retarder which will slow the drying time.
I am sure you will sort out this annoying problem.
Jim

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
Welcome!

I had the same issue when I started and it all fell down to one thing : PSI!

Way too high, the guys here gave me the recommended psi and transformed my results overnight!

Enjoy the forum, you'll learn lots!

Del

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Nikola

Welcome aboard.

The others have pretty much said it all.

I've personally never tried airbrushing Revell paints. However, from what I have read airbrushing them can be extremely tricky if not impossible. I am certainly aware from the few pots I have that the paint is extremely thick and will need thinning significantly, if you've not already done so.

Humbrol paints certainly have a similar reputation when it comes to airbrushing, which I have experienced first-hand.

good luck and I hope you work it out.

all the best.

Andrew

Reactions: JR

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Nikola, a warm welcome.
I can confirm that the "hissin' stick" is more an art than a science and here you will find a lot of info, help and, above all, a warm friendship.

Andrea.

Xenoclast

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nikola
Thanks everyone for all of the support! I will try lowering the PSI and maybe changing to Vallejo AIR :smiling3:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Nikola,
one thing that you can try is thinning the Revell paint with water - it's possible that the Vallejo thinner has an adverse reaction with the Revell paint!
Dave