airbrushing a mud effect

P

premacy10

Hi All

looking to airbrush a light dusting of mud to the underside of a schwimmenwagon (excuse the spelling) . Should I varnish first or go straight on top of the paint, is there a technigue to dusting and what air pressure should I use.

Many thanks Tony

B

Buttonman

hello again, for mud effect i usually ground down some mole hill mud (no weeds or stones plus mr mole has already crushed it down some) mix it with some Klear or there new stuff till you get the consistency you wont then go to work, plus it even smells nice bonus.

Martin

P

phalinmegob

i have tried pigments and these work very well, just dab it on with a damp brush(i use isopropyl alcohol) and the ipa dries off quickly leaving a coat of mud. using a few different colours can give the effect of new fresh mud and old dried mud.you can also mix very small amounts of grass or flock to simulate torn weeds and grass around axles etc.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
You should be fine spraying it on at the very end tony, you dont need to varnish the paint if you dont want (unless youre applying a final matt coat after decaling)Remember the old saying 'less is more' --just put a bit on then step back and have a look, its very easy to get carried away and put too much on!you can always add a little more but you cant take it back off!! cheers tony

S

snapper41

I use earth coloured pastel chalks. I scrape off various shades of brown with the modelling knife, then mix to the desired consistency with turps. Then apply to the model with a stipple brush.