Airbrushing and Tamiya X and XF Paints

First Name
Gary
I have a couple of Tamiya paints and personal views accepted when it comes to airbrushing I need some advice please. I read that I can use IPA to thing Tamiya paints down rather then their own thinners. Also in some case they don't always need thinning down to airbrush depending on what you are doing.

So, do I have to thin ? And can I use IPA which a lot of people do use ?

Thank you

First Name
Gary
I do get conflicting information on a Google search but the most consistent is to use Tamiya's own thinners. is the laquer thinner, with retardent, better ?

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Don't know Gary. I've only ever used Tamiya X-20A thinners. Never tried anything else

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi gary , I used to use Tamiya paints a lot and only switched to vallejo /hataka etc because the choice of colours from Tamiya is quite limited. Like alan I always thin them and always use their X20 thinners. You can use IPA if you want but Tamiyas thinners contains retarding agents so they dont dry too quickly, the IPA doesnt so youre more likely to get paint drying on the tip of the needle as youre spraying and sometimes in warmer weather ,dryng before it hits the surface of the model giving a dusty ,grainy finish. Although the colours werent brilliant I always found them to spray beautifully. Keep your IPA for cleaning the airbrush though , much cheaper than using thinners! Laquer thinners will work but can be a bit aggressive on bare or thinly coated plastic so I'd stick to X20. cheers tony

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I always use Mr levelling thinner (MLT) with Tamiya paint and they spray like silk with no tip drying. Need a mask and booth though, MLT smells horrible....

D

Deleted member 7181

I know I'm new to all this but I think the one you want is X-20A for their acrylics. I believe X-20 is for enamels.

First Name
Andy
I am new to this as well but following good advice on here I use Tamiya thinner for the acrylic paint but use IPA for cleaning the airbrush and hairy sticks mainly because it is much cheaper, well, I am Scottish you know.:smiling:

Andy

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I switched to MLT from X20A. It's better, simples.

And I kinda like the smell. ;)

D

Deleted member 5496

I always keep to the thinner that the manufacturer produces for their paint.
Why take a risk ?

For X & XF Tamiya, as has been corrected, use X20A. Why change ?

If airbrushing to get the best results thin with about 30% X20A.

With a new pot fill with X20A up to the bottom of the neck. I put a little
sticker on the lid to indicate that it has been thinned.

They are very nice paints with the exception that the colours are limited.
However you soon become an "expert" in mixing to get the colour required

Laurie

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I always keep to the thinner that the manufacturer produces for their paint.
Why take a risk ?

For X & XF Tamiya, as has been corrected, use X20A. Why change ?

Because MLT works better than X20A. I subscribed to the "use the manufacturer thinner" for ages, but after reading many posts online of people advocating MLT I tried it and never looked back. It also works well with Tamiya laquers, Hataka laquers and Mr Surfacer primer.

Gary, personally I thin 50/50, but you should probably experiment to see what works for you. I prefer multiple thin coats to build up opacity as I usually pre-shade, but if you want a one coat cover just leave it thicker. :smiling3:

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
I've thinned Tamiya paints in the past with IPA and had no problems. I don't tend to use them much anymore but, I'd give it a go on some scrap card first Bob.
Peter

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Agree with 50/50 thinning paint to MLT, and I use between 15 and 20 psi pressure with a 0.2 needle. If you have concerns regarding MLT and Tamiya, get Mr Colour paint to go with it instead.....they have a larger colour range than tamiya and finer pigmentation. in my opinion they are probably the gold standard for model paints....

First Name
Gary
I mainly use Vallejo Air but I have a couple of pots of Tamiya and want to use them up. So I may live dangerously. But as always I appreciate the tips