Airbrushing indoors?

A

arr0n

Hi all,

I Used to build models when I was younger (although they usually ended up in pieces after being the target of my air rifle). Now 10 years later I'm just about to start building a Revell 1:48 Mosquito (which I don't intend to blow up ;) ) and am thinking that I'd like to airbrush the majority of the larger painted areas.

The problem is that I live in a small 1 bedroom apartment with my girlfriend that I rent, and I'm wondering if it's feasible to airbrush inside? I just finished building and painting an Airfix 1:72 Spitfire (after watching James May :P ) and I'm not too happy with the results of brush painting Tamiya Acrylics or Revell enamels (although I didn't realise you were supposed to thin them before applying!).

My father has an airbrush and compressor that I'd be able to use, however, we used to use it for painting R/C 1:6 aeroplanes, so I'm not sure how suitable it will be for 1:48! The airbrush itself is fairly small and looks similair to ones I've seen on this site, so I guess with the appropriate nozel it should be ok? The only snag is the compressor - I'm not entirely sure of it's original purpose but it's pretty large and doesn't have a regulator, so I'm not sure what sort of PSI it's running :S .

If the above doesn't seem appropriate, do you think I'll be able to get a decent effect by thinning Tamiya Acrylics with 99% isopropyl and brush painting?

Many thanks!

Yes.. But why not build your own booth!

http://www.militarymodelling.com/news/article.asp?a=3661

(If the link will work, won't load at the moment here)

D

dubster72

Hi Aaron, I airbrush indoors, using a homemade fan & vent arrangement to a window to make sure as much of the fumes end up outside & not inside me! Using a mask helps alot too. I'd like a spray booth but that's a 2010 project!

The compressor really needs a regulator & moisture trap although if it's a biggun, I guess the main question is how loud is it? Your neighbours won't thank you if it's deafening them!

Tamiya acrylics (in my experience) don't work very well when applied by a brush-I'd go with emamels or a better acrylic like Vallejo, which are great for brushing.

Good luck!

Patrick

A

arr0n

Cheers sjrixon, I was thinking about building a booth and that has given me some good inspiration.

Dubster: Yeah the compressor is fairly loud I guess, I'll have to bring it indoors at my parents and see how loud it is before I lug it back to my place. I've heard a lot of good things about Vellejo but I just can't seem to find them! I could order them online but is there anywhere I can find what colours/codes the Vellejo paints use that correspond to Tamiya? The main reason I've been using Tamiya is that I can find out on sites like http://www.1999.co.jp/eng what colours to use even if it isn't a Tamiya kit which is pretty handy.

Thanks again.

D

dubster72

Try this one: Ultimate Model Paint Conversion Chart - Paint4models.com#

I've bought my Vallejo stuff mostly online-ebay really as the deals for their sets like German WW2 armour are pretty reasonable. Also, there seems to be a lack of Tamiya acrylic thinner again so that's also making me go for Vallejo more.

Patrick

G

Gladiator111

\ said:
Yes.. But why not build your own booth!http://www.militarymodelling.com/news/article.asp?a=3661

(If the link will work, won't load at the moment here)
Hi all

Sorry, not wanting to tread on your thread Arr0n, but hey - that home built booth is such a great and simple solution! Okay, there's no filter pad and wouldn't be as powerful as the ultimate SIMair, but for materials at around £30ish, this homemade version can't be bad. What do you guys think of it? H&S issues? Do you think it packs enough extraction punch? Any suggestions for improvement? If necessary, could you place a filter over the fan? Answers on a postcard to scale-models...

Can place this on a new thread if you want.

Chris

jspitza

Jeff
First Name
Jeff
Hello:

I mix my Tamiya acrylics 50% and shoot @5-10 MAX PSI Little to no overspray is the result. I'd highly recommend the Iwata eclipse HP-CP as its one if not the most veritile AB on the market. Someone once told me to not buy a cheap AB because of the frustration of cheaper non solvent proof parts inside of the inside of the body. Make absolutely sure that the in side of the air brush body contains teflon packing seals. If its rubber, they will dissolve very quickly using solvents. I've sprayed directly onto paper towels outside of my booth many times becuase thier thinner is retarded mixed with Isotropy alcohol. Infact, you can use alchol as well-this stuff evaporates immediately and the paint will dry to the touch in a few minutes. For cleaning, Iwata and now other companies make air brush cleaning stations pots-these contain the cleaning solvent while providing a receptacle containing the dirty solvent. HTH-Jeff

D

dubster72

This might be a really stupid idea but could a cooker hood not be used in some way? After all it contains a powerful fan & filters or can be vented outside and many have a built-in light. There might be some questions over the flammable vapours but if your painting is done with acrylics plus the fumes are being filtered prior to reaching the fan, would that solve it? Feel free to point out some elementary mistake as this isn't my strong suit!

Patrick

There are a few posts about using a cooker hood.. If you want to build something huge!

jspitza

Jeff
First Name
Jeff
\ said:
This might be a really stupid idea but could a cooker hood not be used in some way? After all it contains a powerful fan & filters or can be vented outside and many have a built-in light. There might be some questions over the flammable vapours but if your painting is done with acrylics plus the fumes are being filtered prior to reaching the fan, would that solve it? Feel free to point out some elementary mistake as this isn't my strong suit!Patrick
Great idea Patrick: This has been used several times instead of pricey paint booths. They sometimes replace the motors to sealed, spark less models but I've used regular bathroom exhaust fans for years (not sealed but work ) although cooking ranges suck out lots of grease and smoke and may already have safe motors. Take care, Jeff

Top or rear extraction? I'm thinking top. Although that build had rear.

You don't want anything to 'pull' the paint across the model. Also if I go top then I still have a nice working box :smiling3:

D

dubster72

How about from below? Paint fumes contain the pigment, which is heavier than air so it would naturally settle downwards. An extractor fan placed beneath, perhaps under a grill, would do the trick. Patrick

A

arr0n

My girlfriend was just reading this over my shoulder and her initial reaction was "Cooker hood?! I'm not having anything like that in my house!".. so I guess that's that idea out ;) . The first link posted to the booth construction is good though, because if you build it well enough it also doubles as a storage solution for boxes of part built models and pots of paint, and can be stored away.

I'll be visiting my parents this weekend so I'll try out the compressor and see if I can see about borrowing it.

\ said:
How about from below? Paint fumes contain the pigment, which is heavier than air so it would naturally settle downwards. An extractor fan placed beneath, perhaps under a grill, would do the trick. Patrick
Bottom! I know what you are saying but it needs to sit on the bottom.

I'm going for the top, that will work best for the whole design.

I'll post some pics if you like?

G

Gladiator111

Top or bottom, does it matter? heh, all you have to do is turn it around ;) The professional ones all seem to extract from the back so is there a reason behind this? Well if you decide on extracting from the bottom you can alway put those cheap kitchen cabinet feet or a couple lengths of timber to raise the fan off the ground.

Personally, I think I shall extract from the rear.

Oh, and just to think - last year I fitted our new kitchen and whizzed out the old extractor. That would have been spot on! Oh well.

Chris

What can I say.. It's a box with a fan in!! Be carefull when you cut the box, I cracked it! The other rubbish part was the switch I bought, it was a shocking design and horrid to put together.

G

Gladiator111

Hey, looooking good!

Top or bottom sjrixon? I think this is going to be a Saturday morning's project for me!

Chris

D

dubster72

Wow that didn't take long and it looks good! Have you given it a test-run yet? I've a plan for mine but that's a project for the Christmas break! Patrick