Airbrushing metallic and black color

First Name
Daniel
Hi All and happy new year!

So I noticed if I try to airbrush with my 0.2 needle some metallic paint or black one I get "bursting" behavior as the paint from my airbrush stop/go all the time. I thin these two the same way I do with other paints but I noticed whenever I need to paint metallic or black I get this "bursting" behavior.

I am also here including the lacquer based stuff from Mr. Color as well.

I admit that I am still learning the ways of airbrushing but this is the trend which I noticed. Any tips and is this expected behavior due different pigments or something?

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I get this sometimes with the smaller needle size daniel. Personally i reckon its to do with the size of the pigment flakes in a particular paint . If I use the 0.2 airbrush and try to do a fine exhaust stain for example ( using a very thinned black/ brown mixture at a reduced pressure ) it can stutter and almost seems as if its straining out the pigment and only spraying the thinner . So I end up using another airbrush with a 0.3 or 0.4 needle instead. Your problem with the metallics is almost certainly due to the size of the flakes , metallics always have a bigger pigment size , some better than others . Tamiya x11 silver for example has a large very visible flake but the vallejo model air and metal colors are much finer .

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Yep, I concur with Tony, it’s pigment size. I’ve also had it with all enamels, and Tamiya and Mr colour metallic paint through a 0.3 needle. Never had it with black, but I only use a 0.3 needle. Alclad II metallic paint sprays like a dream, and has always been my “go too” paint for airbrushing metals, but it’s a bit smelly. Tony’s results with Vallejo metal colours speak for themselves. I’ve not sprayed them, but have found they are excellent for brush painting. As an aside, Tamiya spray paints work very well if decanted from the spray can and thinned with Mr colour levelling thinner. I think they must be formulated differently.

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
Never experienced it with Vallejo air, currently using metallic gun metal and black, sprays beautifully.

First Name
Daniel
Ahh I thought that it is pigment size in question.