Airbrushing question: How do you do fine lines

First Name
Drew
Hi there, as the title says, how do you do finer lines using a double action, gravity fed airbrush?

Is this regulated by the needle?

If so, should the needle be further back into the handle of the airbrush or sticking further out the front?

Cheers

Drew

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The needle regulates the amount of paint in the spray mixture,not the width of the spray pattern.

To spray a fine line move close to the subject,depress the trigger for air,gradually pull back on the trigger until your line starts to appear. Too much paint when close to the subject will flood the area. I lower the pressure as much as I can,but not below 12-15 psi,and thin the paint as much as I dare. I spray enamels not acrylics. I found subtlelty and acrylics were a poor mix for me but others manage okay.

With practice any typical airbrush with a nozzle around 0.3 - 0.5mm will spray a fine line. I regularly do Luftwaffe style,feathered,camouflage demarcations freehand,even in 1/72 scale with a 0.3mm nozzle.

Steve

First Name
Drew
Thanks Steve, will give it a try on the trashed Hind D that I have for practicing this type of thing.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Also try removing the needle cap you will be able to get closer just be carfull not to damage the needle tip