Airbrushing Tamiya acrylics- drying too fast?

First Name
Alex
Hello everyone, a bit of advice please. I’m airbrushing with Tamiya acrylics and the result on the model comes out grainy sometimes and the surface is not smooth. I’m spraying at 15psi and the paint is well thinned. Is there a product that can be used with these acrylics to slow the drying time? Or is there something else this beginner is doing wrong…? :thinking:

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Retarder! Never used it myself, perhaps also try.a bit less thinner and a wetter coat.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Alex
Tamiya can give a very matt, dusty finish. If you rub it gently the surface changes. The paint is drying before it hits the model.
Try retarder, spraying closer to the model and also the current warm weather will also work against you. I have had some success mixing the paint with Tamiya X-22 clear. That will make the finish less matt, slightly more satin.
Jim
What you are thinning with makes a big difference as well.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
As Jim says above the thinner used can make a big difference , Tamiyas own thinners is formulated specially for their paint and contains a retarder to help with spraying . Its possible to thin Tamiya acrylics with IPA but obviously the retarding agent is missing so it will dry a lot quicker , sometimes before hitting the surface giving the dusty , grainy finish especially if its warm . I used to exclusively use Tamiya paints and always used their thinner , and found them to be consistently excellent , only moving away from them due to their colour range being very limited and not standardised .

Last edited:
First Name
Alex
Many thanks for the advice guys. I’m thinning it with Tamiya’s X-20A thinner so possibly I’ll spraying from too far away.. I wasn’t aware the X-20A had retarder in it, useful to know.

D

Deleted member 5496

Need more info Alex.

What needle/nozzle are you using ? What temperature are you at in the room? What distance are you from the object when spraying ?

Most Tamiya addicts thin 35%. Opening up a new bottle I fill up the the top of the shoulder of the bottle that is it for the whole bottle use. I then put a little sticker on the cap to confirm it has been thinned.

Most of my work is with a 0.35 needle nozzle. At 6" proximity although I do change depending on circumstances.

I choose 20PSI. I would say 15PSI may be part of the problem but then need all facts.

With all of the above never have any problems.

Another factor. If you have been spraying gingerly around a difficult bit spray on spray off etc. I have a stand with thick paper I give a good full burst every now & then to keep things moist with new paint at the nozzle.

It is worth persevering as this I have found to be a very nice paint with a very thin coat. Very forgiving to much paint & most times you are lucky. Over the top & I quickly wipe with kitche roll & spray over immediatly works well. Shame they do not produce more colours.

Laurie

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 5496

Jim's comment just reminded me. I put about 20% Tamiya Semi Gloss Clear into the cup to mix with the basic XF.

Found it gives a much better smooth finish..

First Name
Alex
So I’m using a .3mm needle and nozzle, room temperature and at an educated guess, about 4-6inches from the model but that may well not be consistent.
I shall ramp it up to 20psi and try that then along with a touch of semi gloss clear..
many thanks for the input!
Alex

D

Deleted member 5496

Sounds OK Alex. Also of help, perhaps, on large areas I press the trigger full down & full back & keep the
airbrush moving, swishing backwards & forwards, all the time.

even after 20 odd years I on occasion get an old plastic drink bottle & have a practice. Like all things in life
you learn then forget & the memory needs re-booting.

Laurie

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
If you dilute with Mr Levelling thinners it sprays like silk. Bit more smelly though…..

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
If you dilute with Mr Levelling thinners it sprays like silk. Bit more smelly though…..
Definitely. You certainly need a mask and a spray booth though. Paint coat dries smooth and hard.
Jim