Airbrushing Tamiya with Iwata Revolution HP-TR1

slupanter

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alexander
Hi guys, long time no post
I have a question about Tamiya spraying.
I sprayed my Morserzugmittel and got a sand-like finish, I thinned with Mr Color self-lever, I normally use Liquitex but still don't get a smooth finish. I spray about 18PSI. I use an Iwata Revolution HP-TR1 (0.3)

Any advice of PSI, the airbrush and the thinner.

First Name
Wouter
normally with the Mr Levelling Thinner you should get a smooth finish. You can spray the paint fairly 'wet' since it levels out smoothly. Might be that the distance between the airbrush and subject might have been too big so that the paint dried a bit early when hitting the model. Try playing with the thinning ratio of the paint and distance between airbrush and model. I usually thin 60/40 thinner to paint or even more. 18PSI should be ok. Adding a small drop of Tamiya Smoke helps as well.

Now with grainy finish you have at the moment, you can try to spray Tamiya Lacquer Thinner on top of the model (slightly moistening the model, not too wet), this might activate the paint again and help it level out.

Cheers

slupanter

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alexander
normally with the Mr Levelling Thinner you should get a smooth finish. You can spray the paint fairly 'wet' since it levels out smoothly. Might be that the distance between the airbrush and subject might have been too big so that the paint dried a bit early when hitting the model. Try playing with the thinning ratio of the paint and distance between airbrush and model. I usually thin 60/40 thinner to paint or even more. 18PSI should be ok. Adding a small drop of Tamiya Smoke helps as well.

Now with grainy finish you have at the moment, you can try to spray Tamiya Lacquer Thinner on top of the model (slightly moistening the model, not too wet), this might activate the paint again and help it level out.

Cheers

Hey

I'll give this a go and report back

First Name
Wouter
Morning Alexander.

mmm...that's odd. Well, only thing I can come up with is gently sand it down. You might need to respray some areas though. Hope that helps.

Cheers

slupanter

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alexander
@Wouter

Success! Sanded down, sprayed at 18PSI with a 50/50 mix of Mr Color Leveller. Now my paint is like silk.
I think I know what caused it, I had set my compressor to 30PSI for clean out another airbrush.

Attachments

• photo_2018-11-03_23-15-37.jpg
    photo_2018-11-03_23-15-37.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 13
N

nyc7181

I spray tamiya, I used 20 drops of paint and about 12 drops of thinner and i get a good finish.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thinned 50:50 with Mr Colour levelling thinner at about 20psi is what I use, and it sprays like silk, as you have just found :thumb2: Use a mask though, it’s quite nasty stuff....