Airbrushing Varnish.

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
I've done a search but no joy so...

I have VMS Gloss varnish HD.

It can be airbrushed direct from the bottle but the coverage I'm getting is way too patchy and I feel the airbrush is struggling as the spray is nothing like paint.

VMS state thinning is not required so my thinking is needle size?

I don't want to use my nice airbrush for varnish so I'm using a cheap airbrush which does come with different needle sizes, if it is the needle any suggestions on needle size?

Thanks again.....I know, I'm very needy.

Del

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Del
I like VMS products. Seem well thought out and they have some very good YouTube videos. I always dilute their varnish and it sprays well with my Iwata with 0.3 nozzle.
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Just because the maker says you don't need thinners doesn't mean you can't use thinners! I regularly thin my varnish coats, Gloss, Satin & Matt, just for that reason
Dave

Komedy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Warren
So far the only varnish I have not had to thin is MRP which out of the bottle is just sublime

Warren

Komedy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Warren
Try thinning and adjusting your PSI until you get a good result. If you have an old model to practice on try a few variations until you get a good result. A 0.3mm needle should be fine, as Dave has mentioned needle size is less important.

Last edited:

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
Hi Del
I like VMS products. Seem well thought out and they have some very good YouTube videos. I always dilute their varnish and it sprays well with my Iwata with 0.3 nozzle.
Jim
Jim,

What are you thinning it with?

Thanks

Del

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I have started to use VMS varnish as well, have not thinned at 20 psi but the bottle shaken to xmas and back. No problems yet

Bob