Aircraft of the Cold War GB July-Sept 2017. Chat Thread.

P

Polux

Aircraft of the Cold War Group Build.

That's an interesting build for the plane lovers, with historical touches...

For any question or doubts like:
"-is my aircraft valid for this entry...?"
Please post it here!!

The GB will run from July to September.
Any scale ;)

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
I do have one that should qualify but I just want to make sure but I will try and squeeze it inP1030663.JPG

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I plan on building an Avro Vulcan, probably this one from Airfix.

a50097-front.jpg

It's going to be tight on time though. I wont be able to start it until the beginning of September. :eek:

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I plan on building an Avro Vulcan, probably this one from Airfix.

View attachment 283726

It's going to be tight on time though. I wont be able to start it until the beginning of September. :eek:
I built this kit some years ago Bob not a bad kit. I scratch built the wheel wells and bomb bay for it.

First Name
Adrian
Forgive my ignorance, but could I ask what dates the " Cold War " encompasses? I mean to say is it up to the fall of the Berlin wall or are we talking about 50's, 60's timelines?

Adrian

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Forgive my ignorance, but could I ask what dates the " Cold War " encompasses? I mean to say is it up to the fall of the Berlin wall or are we talking about 50's, 60's timelines?

Adrian
Why Adrian, what do want to include ?

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I was just wondering about a couple of kits I have, an F-4 Phantom and a F-14 Tomcat kit , they are the only kits I have close enough to any GB this year been a mainly Sci Fi modeller :smiling3:
I've been wondering too. In my opinion it would include any Nato or Warsaw pact aircraft that operated between 1950/1990. However, say you have a Tornado to build it should be built as it operated in that time frame, so no Gulf War markings for example.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I was going to do Tornado F1/3 that I got second hand last year until i opened the box and found it didn't have any wings! I have a couple of GR versions I could do that are also on my 2017 build dream sheet - 1/48 or 1/32?

First Name
Adrian
According to Wikipedia, the generally accepted dates are from 1947 - 1991. I found this site which might be useful:

http://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/cold-war-aircraft.asp

Wow That's a great help Dave thank you, its even opened up a couple more kits I could look at as I have also got the F-15 and F16. I would make sure I had correct decals for the time period and operating theatre :smiling3:
Surprised to see listed the Saturn V and Space shuttle, but glad to see the P51 Mustang, yet another option for me ;)

Adrian

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I was going to do Tornado F1/3 that I got second hand last year until i opened the box and found it didn't have any wings! I have a couple of GR versions I could do that are also on my 2017 build dream sheet - 1/48 or 1/32?

On reflection I am going to pass on this GB, my builds take too long.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
1991 Cold war aircraft, well that's one for the moderators.