Aircraft of the Cold War GB July-Sept 2017. Chat Thread.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I'd say an A10 is fine as long as it was in the europe one scheme (lizard)or earlier , after all the aircraft was designed for stopping the soviet advance of armour should the cold war suddenly turn hot. I dont think anything with a scheme used in any other war would be really representative of the cold war ( ie no gulf war / vietnam / korean schemes) Thats not to say the aircraft used in these wars wouldnt be appropriate just that the markings should be from the period of stand off commonly recognised as the cold war. For example an A10 based in germany or britain during the 70s / 80s is fine or a F15 based in alaska or britain , but gulf war markings seems a bit off topic , what does anyone else think?

P

Polux

Well....you know my opinion.
One year up or down...isn't a problem for me. We are not debating the History on a formal forum.
This is a modelling one.
My main interest are the members and their builds.
Anyway I'm with Tony on that, European and North American based must be!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
i agree with tony.......its about the Cold War, which is European/ North American based

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Well im going to be doing that iconic symbol of espionage and secrecy ( well until belenko delivered one to the west!!) the MiG 25 P Foxbat in 1/72.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Yes helicopters are aircraft after all , just rotary winged instead of fixed , some nice subjects too - all the soviet choppers plus all the nato anti tank and transport ones , ie. the AH 64 Apache like the A10 was designed to take out soviet armour on the possible battlefield of western europe.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I've been thinking about this GB ( and it hurt ) I want to go with the Super marine Swift. I take it it counts but just want to make sure.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Its a jet designed and built during the fifties as a counter to the migs etc ( although in that sense it failed to deliver) and later was used as a reconnaissance platform based in west germany no doubt spying on uncle ivan in east germany over the fence! So its totally a cold war aircraft ian

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Its a jet designed and built during the fifties as a counter to the migs etc ( although in that sense it failed to deliver) and later was used as a reconnaissance platform based in west germany no doubt spying on uncle ivan in east germany over the fence! So its totally a cold war aircraft ian
I sort of knew it was Tony but I just wanted confirmation, many thanks I will post a build thread up later.
Once again cheers Tony.