Aircraft Rigging Detail

T

tecdes

Not a clue as to the size of rigging for aerials or for bi-plane tension rigging.

Also where the rigging goes through the fuselage both for aerial& for bi-planes is there just a hole or is there some sort of special fitting.

Being in Jersey I do not get to running down to a museum at any time to study these things.

Advice will be gratefully received.

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Which period in time are we talking about?

Ian M

T

tecdes

WW11 for the aerial stuff Ian. 20s 30s for the bi planes.

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I will have a look at some pictures I have on my hard drive and get back to you.

I could hazard a guess and say that metal skinned craft had a form of insulating collar to prevent shorts should the wire get damaged and fabric coverings had some form or reinforcement ring to stop the fabric going up.

I will see what I can find.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
cant find any good pictures of Aerial cables exiting the fuselage on WWII aircraft...

WWI aircraft: Cable exits for control cables. Some German craft used leather to reinforce the cut out. British look like they used an extra layer or two of fabric.

The tensioning wires varied as to how they attached. Some went to eye bolts, others to more elaborate fittings.

I think (personaly) that any thing 1/48 and smaller you will get away with the fishing line through a hole with out to many comments....

Larger scales, I would guess its PE and special parts producers top get the fixings and eyebolts.

Not a lot of help but better than nowt.

Ian M

T

tecdes

Thanks Ian for your time on this.

I have tried a number of times to get some info on this but came against a brick wall every time.

Laurie