Airfix’s Bristol Beaufort mk1

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Russell comin on very nice an can i ask you where you obtained the small maps as these would look good in my tigers bridge ?
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Thanks. I really want to make a little set of headphones to plug in to the radio and lay on top of the maps...Any ideas on what to use?
well in my opinion Russell for head phones as they will be tiny just use a bit of bent small wire in a n shape an stick on a couple of smale bits of round sprue on the ends for the ear phones an then paint black hows that ?
chris

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've used a strip of redundant PE (of appropriate size) and made the 'phones with sized pieces using styrene sheet and a Waldron punch and die set. Takes fine wire beautifully! The PE is easily blackened with burnishing fluid. PS The build is looking really good!

Charlie Delta Foxtrot

SMF Supporter
First Name
Russell
HI Russell comin on very nice an can i ask you where you obtained the small maps as these would look good in my tigers bridge ?
chris
I tried to print some maps but they just kept coming out A4...do enlisted daughter to help and she was able to get it much smaller but still not small enough so I took what she had done and simply cut out the bits I wanted; some land, some sea and that worked well enough.

Charlie Delta Foxtrot

SMF Supporter
First Name
Russell
That's looking really good, but for a new tool those ejector pin marks are disappointing.
Pete
I know, and I’m kicking myself I didn’t do anything about them now, live and learn. Of course, they’ll probably never be seen again once it’s closed up.

Charlie Delta Foxtrot

SMF Supporter
First Name
Russell
I've used a strip of redundant PE (of appropriate size) and made the 'phones with sized pieces using styrene sheet and a Waldron punch and die set. Takes fine wire beautifully! The PE is easily blackened with burnishing fluid. PS The build is looking really good!
Great idea! I think I might go with the simple sprue idea though, for speed.

Charlie Delta Foxtrot

SMF Supporter
First Name
Russell
well in my opinion Russell for head phones as they will be tiny just use a bit of bent small wire in a n shape an stick on a couple of smale bits of round sprue on the ends for the ear phones an then paint black hows that ?
chris
That’s exactly what I will do! Thanks!

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I know, and I’m kicking myself I didn’t do anything about them now, live and learn. Of course, they’ll probably never be seen again once it’s closed up.
I'm sure they won't be visible, and I wasn't criticising your build, it's just disappointing that Airfix couldn't avoid having so many on a new tool. Some are in really awkward places too. :disappointed2:
Pete

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I tried to print some maps but they just kept coming out A4...do enlisted daughter to help and she was able to get it much smaller but still not small enough so I took what she had done and simply cut out the bits I wanted; some land, some sea and that worked well enough.
There's a company called ETA produce maps in various scales - also flags, posters, zeltbahns, cartons etc etc. Inexpensive and beautifully detailed on good quality paper. I can recommend them!

Charlie Delta Foxtrot

SMF Supporter
First Name
Russell
I'm sure they won't be visible, and I wasn't criticising your build, it's just disappointing that Airfix couldn't avoid having so many on a new tool. Some are in really awkward places too. :disappointed2:
Pete
For sure. Wasn’t taken as criticism but I was annoyed I didn’t try to fill them. They we’re definitely in an awkward place to try and sand off without destroying the whole inside of the plane. Also some cut through some of the frame work which is really disappointing.