Airfix 1/12 yeoman

• Thread starter Deleted member 3568
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all I have been fliting around a lot today on my models and decided to start a figure not tried one since I was about 6 so be gentle with me, I realise I may have bitten off more than I can chew here, the painting is very complicated.

anyway this as far as I've got

View attachment 86791

View attachment 86792

I've given his beard eyebrows and moustache a bit more detail with my scribe although it dosn't really show.

IMAG1825.jpg

IMAG1826.jpg

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
blimey...that ones a blast from the past!

B

Bunkerbarge

I wonder how many of us made one of these Airfix 1/12th scale figures as a youngster! I made a few! They do look very dated now and lacking in crisp detail but still very rewarding to build. I think you have picked the most difficult one here but doing a great job on what is undoubtedly a very difficult painting exercise!

P

Polux

Wow! Looking very good so far, and difficult as well :eek:

Keep up the good work ;)

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Looking good Ken, nice work on something that looks tricky.

Si:smiling3:

D

Deleted member 3568

You can say that again, I wish I had left the arms off that gold and black around the arms is really tricky probably end up in the bin. The moulding is very poor on the gold braid, and very complex I am struggling shame there are no decals with the kit.

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all here is an update on how ts going I recon its destined for the bin, it is so difficult the moulding is not very crisp and my eyesight is (lets face it,rubbish ) as richard said I recon it must be the most difficult kit in the set I have the Cold stream guard and the Life guard trumpeter to do,I recon the other two are destined for the very bottom of my stash View attachment 87010

IMAG1857.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
From that photo I have to say it looks okay to me Ken. Don't biff it out, at least finish it and then you can give it to a kid to play with or something like that if you decide you don't want to keep it. Figures are a mystery to me at the best of times, bit honestly this doesn't look that bad.

B

Bunkerbarge

I think it is important to remember that every kit is a learning. I have made some I have been happy with and many I have not been happy with but what is important for me was that I learned something from them all to carry forward and help to make the next one better.

I also think you learn a lot more from the ones that don't go so well so I would see this as a positive experience rather than a negative one!! Plus don't be too hard on yourself, I don't think it has come out too badly at all.

D

Deleted member 3568

Thanks Richard its still not finished but I cant see that anything I do to it from now on will improve it I am just hoping that a bit of mat varnish at the end will hide some of the poor painting, perhaps it will dull the gold down and then wont notice so much. Also I think some new brushes may help.

D

Deleted member 3568

View attachment 87097

Bit more done on this one today. Women are funny things, my missus thinks its the best model I've done and wants it on the mantle piece. I may have to accidentally drop it when finished, dont want this displayed for all to see.IMAG1872.jpg

Last edited:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
You've done everything right ken , it's painted well the only thing I would say is it's too shiny and it looks like it's glazed like an ornament maybe if you put a coat of matt clear on it it will look more natural :smiling3:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
He came out nicely Ken. He's a rather smart figure, I can see why your missus likes him. As Alan suggested, a coat of matt would dull him down a bit and I think that would make him more lifelike.

D

Deleted member 3568

Yes he is a bit shiney run out of mat varnish but will give him a coat when I get some.