Airfix 1/32 Mini Countryman WRC 2011

1275GT

Hi all. This is my completed entry from the rally car group build. Pretty straightforward in construction, helped by the fact that there's not much to it ( def not in the same league of kits as those from that certain Japanese manufacturer....).

Pretty much OOB apart from the interior belts and ratchet strap, and the exterior aerials, which were home brewed. Minus points are the wheels, which are very basic and wrong, and the lights, mainly the fronts, again very basic.

Decals were the only problematic area - fine on a flat surface, but being a bit on the thick side, they weren't too keen on anything curvy even with a large helping of setting solution.

Overall I'm quite happy with the result, being the first car I done in a very long time !!

One thing that does make me think is why Airfix continue to produce cars in this scale? They've never done a huge range, they don't make anything else in this scale and no-one else uses this scale for autos ( to my knowledge ), so it's not as if you can get accessories ( belts, wheels, etc ) to improve your model, or pinch them from something else !

Anyway, rant over, here are the pics. Hope you enjoy :smiling3:

View attachment 77868

View attachment 77869

View attachment 77870

View attachment 77871

View attachment 77872

View attachment 77873

View attachment 77874

View attachment 77875

View attachment 77876

View attachment 77877

View attachment 77878

View attachment 77879

Cheers, Neil

DSC09353.JPG

DSC09354.JPG

DSC09355.JPG

DSC09356.JPG

DSC09357.JPG

DSC09359.JPG

DSC09360.JPG

DSC09362.JPG

DSC09363.JPG

DSC09364.JPG

DSC09365.JPG

DSC09366.JPG

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Despite your problems its come out nice top notch,would you consider weathering it i would look better but on the whole a nice one.

Peter t

First Name
Mike
I like it Neil, looks like an ideal 'first car for a long time' model. I must admit I like car models to be clean, though as Peter has said weathering will give it a different look, it's all down to personal preference. I think the 1/32 is a hark back to Airfix's slot-racing heritage, their cars have always been this scale AFAIK.

First Name
Jason
Very nicely done Neil, looks great. The little touches like the Ariels and picking out the wheel nuts really makes it pop.

I agree about the 32nd scale thing. I get the slot car heritage but commercially I bet they'd shift more styrene if they upscaled. They have a couple of kits I wish they'd release in 24th this Mini and their racing DB9 for a start.

Anyway, first car for a long time ay! Got any more planned?

P

Polux

Very nice first car!!! Looks fine to me, and I prefer without weathering too ;)

Fantastic item for the rally group build ;)

Polux

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
For a BMMiniW that actually looks great!

1/32 is still the perfered scale for slots, I can recall having built a few onto slot car chassis as a lad.

Great build and well done with the decals!

Ian M

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
top job neil, looks great to me. I believe some of the jap makers still do 1/32 kits, but as you say it would make sense for airfix to do the more common 1/25 , cheers tony

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Superb Build Neil, top notch work, like this very much.

Si:smiling3:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great build Neil. It was fun to watch your mini build, the final result is excellent.

1275GT

Thank you for the kind words chaps, much appreciated. And I've learned something - I never knew Airfix did slot cars, that kinda explains things. I think they may sell a few more if they moved to 1/20 or 1/24 though?

Personally, I'd only really weather a car if it was in some sort of diorama, and I'm not happy that my skills are up to that just yet !!

Jason, I'm back to things with wings for a bit, but I have a couple of Tamiya F1 kits in the stash for when I fancy a change again :smiling3:

Cheers, Neil