Airfix 1/32 Multipose German Officer

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I’m still wanting to up my painting game for my Tommy's War figures so I’m trying to keep practicing it in between other projects, in the hope that the more I do it the easier it will get……
The idea is to find simple subjects that are almost ready to paint without the need for a lot of epic modelmaking to get them there, but not something so precious that it matters if I cock it up.
This guy is from the Starter Set Challenge GB last year and I threatened at the time to re-paint them in proper colours, so I thought he might be a good candidate for a quick makeover.

IMG_20190428_151543064.jpg
I'm sure it was a case of a bad workman blaming his tools, but I was really unhappy with this whole build, and those who followed it will surely remember my bellyaching:rolling:
Anyway, into the Dettol he went, and when he came out I just couldn’t help myself…….
I always thought these Multipose figures were the bee’s knees, but how standards have improved over the years! After working on the finely moulded ICM WWI figures I realise these leave a hell of a lot to be desired, and in fact are actually crude by comparison. I had intended making up all the sets in my stash OOB, but I think I might just use them all for conversions now.
Anyway I realised I had a few old Armour Accessories details in the spares box, so I awarded him a couple of Iron Crosses, I gave his belt a PE buckle and added carrying straps for the map case.
IMG_20200614_095010996_HDR.jpg

Not the best pic, unfortunately, but I didn't check it on the PC until it was too late.
The service cap detail was quite poor so I removed it and added some refinements, also from the now defunct Armour Accessories set. I had to sculpt his eagle, though.

IMG_20200614_095218194_HDR.jpg
Ditto with the photography, sorry.
I'm not in a place with my painting where I can show WIP shots, so all will be revealed soon.
Thanks for looking
Neil

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
I too used to think the Multipose were the bees knees and have loads in the stash

Moulding has come on a bit over recent years and current figures tend to be much sharper in detail

Multipose are still a good starting point though

I have quite a few Armour Accessories sets of tools, German weapons and some less than brilliant jerrycans - not got any uniform detail sets though, assuming it is the same AA. I know they are OOP now but just out of interest what was in the set?

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I have quite a few Armour Accessories sets of tools, German weapons and some less than brilliant jerrycans - not got any uniform detail sets though, assuming it is the same AA. I know they are OOP now but just out of interest what was in the set?
You've made me doubt myself about AA now. I saw it whilst surfing recently and couldn't find it on Historex Agents site, so just assumed they had sold out.
I've only got a few bits left now, but apart from what I used I think there was a chest and SS sleeve eagles, there are a couple more service cap cords, SS skull for the service cap, and I think a couple of battle badges or marksman badge. Possibly both types of belt buckle, too,and I think maybe even a police gorget.
I've still got the Panzerschreck, and MG 34, I will have to think of a good setting for them.
One day....

D

Deleted member 6559

He's at it again! - marvellous micro modelling Neil.

I remember when the multipose figures first came out and the excitement they caused. However, everyone was mystified as to why they were 1/32 instead of 1/35. It meant that they could only be posed with Airfix's limited range of vehicles in that scale (cunning plan). That said, they were streaks ahead of anything else available - I remember them with fondness.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Yes ,Peter you're right- to be fair they were 'state of the art' at the time.
And how many 1/32 scale tanks did Airfix make....? I can only think of Monty's Humber, Rommel's Greif, a Lee/Grant and possibly a Crusader? Or am I imagining those?
Oh yes, they did those ready-assembled wargames things like the Bedford truck and was it the Stalwart?
There is also the 17 Pounder Anti Tank Gun which I actually do have,because it came with the Multipose British Infantry as crew, although I think it would take a bit more than mixing and matching to make convincing gun crew poses out of the bog-standard action pose possibilities.

Hmmm now there's a future challenge......

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
There is also the 17 Pounder Anti Tank Gun which I actually do have,because it came with the Multipose British Infantry as crew, although I think it would take a bit more than mixing and matching to make convincing gun crew poses out of the bog-standard action pose possibilities.
I have one in my stash , started over 30 years ago , may just look it out again

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Neil - there was a Crusader. It got limited time re-release a few years ago
I didn’t get around to buying one and now they are pricey

I do have the M3 Lee, either three or four Greifs, the Humber and the 17pdr - probably should make one of the Greifs at some point

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I remember when the multipose figures first came out and the excitement they caused. However, everyone was mystified as to why they were 1/32 instead of 1/35. It meant that they could only be posed with Airfix's limited range of vehicles in that scale (cunning plan). That said, they were streaks ahead of anything else available - I remember them with fondness.

Actually I think Almark got there quite a lot earlier, I remember Germans and Japanese ,although the sculpts (by Cliff Sanderson, I think) were a bit 'tooly' but they were great figures.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
You are a busy bee Neil. Great to see another one of your figures completed. All the extra detailing was well worth the effort.