Airfix 1:35 Cromwell CS WIP

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Looks good, how does it compare to the Tamiya kit? I've been wondering about the Airfix version.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I wonder if it's the Tamiya kit. Airfix don't manufacture 1/35 kits as the other tanks are re-boxed Academy kits. Welldone for Airfix doing this joint thingy as we seem to have problems getting Academy kits.
That looks like a nice Cromwell coming together, Alexander.

Cheers,
Richard

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I wonder if it's the Tamiya kit. Airfix don't manufacture 1/35 kits as the other tanks are re-boxed Academy kits. Welldone for Airfix doing this joint thingy as we seem to have problems getting Academy kits.
That looks like a nice Cromwell coming together, Alexander.

Cheers,
Richard
Hi Richard

It's actually a brand new tiling for Airfix.

One review has this to say on the subject:

This is a new tool from Airfix, the first of the armour line that is from their own CAD files, which we understand were moulded for them by Academy, their long-term partners in the new Airfix 1:35 armour line.

HTH

Andrew

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Richard

It's actually a brand new tiling for Airfix.

One review has this to say on the subject:

This is a new tool from Airfix, the first of the armour line that is from their own CAD files, which we understand were moulded for them by Academy, their long-term partners in the new Airfix 1:35 armour line.

HTH

Andrew

Thanks for clearing that up Andrew. It's about time Airfix started their own 1/35 line. Good for them. I can still remember they tried reboxing Peerless kits in 1/32. I have that 17-pounder kit built. No one has done that in 1/35 as far as I know.

Cheers,
Richard

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Thanks for clearing that up Andrew. It's about time Airfix started their own 1/35 line. Good for them. I can still remember they tried reboxing Peerless kits in 1/32. I have that 17-pounder kit built. No one has done that in 1/35 as far as I know.

Cheers,
Richard
Richard

No problem at all. I've actually got my eye on this as I've heard very good things about it.

Alexander - it's looking very good so far. I'll be following this with interest.

ATB.

Andrew

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I have that 17-pounder kit built. No one has done that in 1/35 as far as I know.
Accurate Armour had a resin and metal one about 25 years ago, Bronco released it in plastic some ten years ago, in both the normal and “Pheasant” (on 25-pounder carriage) versions and apparently, AFV Club also has one.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Accurate Armour had a resin and metal one about 25 years ago, Bronco released it in plastic some ten years ago, in both the normal and “Pheasant” (on 25-pounder carriage) versions and apparently, AFV Club also has one.

About time I should visit the LHS to check out what's in and get me a proper 1/35 scaled one. Thanks Jakko.

Cheers,
Richard

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The 17-pounder is one of those things I want to build, but haven’t found the motivation to actually want to do yet :smiling3:

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Hey all, started the new Airfix 1:35 Cromwell CS a few weeks ago. base painted yesterday.
Lovely to build, a real pleasure.

View attachment 422714

There is a 1:350 HMS M1 submarine there too ;)
Not normally a 'armour' fan, but tempted by this one, as recently read a book (Troop Leader, by Bill Bellamy) which tells of his time after D-Day and has an episode related in it that may make an interesting dio.

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike

Cheers,
Richard
Bronco I believe have it, I know there is an early and late 17pdr in the range to go with the Universal carriers.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Bronco I believe have it, I know there is an early and late 17pdr in the range to go with the Universal carriers.
Thanks Mike but Jakko's already mentioned it too. I don't regularly check websites and only rely on what the LHS stocks up. In the past with so little brands it used to be up to date or I could have missed it as lately less than a handful are normally brought in of a particular kit or pre-orders made.

Cheers,
Richard

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Do you mean: “is the Comet a Cromwell with a 17-pounder?” (I ask because I didn’t quite understand the question :smiling3:) The answer to that is “essentially, yes.” The Comet is a development of the Cromwell with different (wider) wheels and track (plus return rollers added), a new turret with the 77-mm gun and assorted minor changes.

The 77-mm gun was a development of the 17-pounder to shorten its cartridge case so it would be easier to fit the gun inside a turret, and to handle the ammunition inside a vehicle. The projectiles were exactly the same, but the cases shorter and (off the top of my head) fatter, with less propellant. As a result, it was less powerful but that actually benefitted the weapon, it turned out. The name was changed to prevent confusion and the wrong ammo being delivered to units.

slupanter

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alexander
Do you mean: “is the Comet a Cromwell with a 17-pounder?” (I ask because I didn’t quite understand the question :smiling3:) The answer to that is “essentially, yes.” The Comet is a development of the Cromwell with different (wider) wheels and track (plus return rollers added), a new turret with the 77-mm gun and assorted minor changes.

The 77-mm gun was a development of the 17-pounder to shorten its cartridge case so it would be easier to fit the gun inside a turret, and to handle the ammunition inside a vehicle. The projectiles were exactly the same, but the cases shorter and (off the top of my head) fatter, with less propellant. As a result, it was less powerful but that actually benefitted the weapon, it turned out. The name was changed to prevent confusion and the wrong ammo being delivered to units.

Sorry, Typo. Got you, I always thought it was a straight-up 17pounder in the Comet, I didn't know it was a modified gun based on the 17pdr.

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Not normally a 'armour' fan, but tempted by this one, as recently read a book (Troop Leader, by Bill Bellamy) which tells of his time after D-Day and has an episode related in it that may make an interesting dio.

The canal jump by any chance? :smiling2:

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
The 17pdr was fitted to the A30 Challenger, which was a lengthened Cromwell hull, Six wheels per side instead of five! Then they re-used the name for the Challenger 1 & 2 more recently.