Airfix 1/48 Hawker Hurricane

First Name
Dave
Really slow build this as I've got a lot on at the moment.Got some more paint on yesterday.Them realised I'd used RLM79 Sandgelb!.

So tonight I put a couple of coats of the correct Dark Earth on.Must pay more attention in future!

I've made quite a few silly mistakes on what should have been a straight forward build.

First Name
Adrian
I admire your dedication, I got the same kit and just built it OOB, wish I had done some of the work you have. Great stuff :smiling3:

First Name
Dave
Tonight I masked the camouflage patern with white tack and Frog tape.The Frog tape was bought from B&Q and is left over from house decorating.I ve compared it to Tamiya tape and I reckon it's the same stuff.Same colour ,same thickness and stickiness.

Then I sprayed a cout of Xtracolour Dark Green enamel.Will give it another coat tomorrow night if it needs it.

First Name
Dave
The wifes got the hump and gone to bed.So ive just nipped out to the shed and put another coat of dark green on the Hurricane.Will remove all the masking tomorrow.

First Name
Dave
Just removed the masking and Im very pleased with how the camouflage has turned out. I'm now going to mask the canopy frames a few at a time and brisk paint them.Then I will have to brush on matt varnish,give it a few days to dry,then mask the canopy again.

First Name
Dave
I've finished the Hurricane and managed to mess it up with the final matt varnish.Dont know what happened but its dried with white patches here and there.A bit like that rubbish Humbrol matt clear.I used Vallejo matt which has always given me perfect finish.All I did different was spray another coat on the next day as it was still a bit glossy in areas. I've tried removing it with IPA on a cloth,but it didn't work.Ive started another build while I think what to do with it.Any ideas anyone? (And don't say chuck it in the bin).

On a brighter note,my clever,beautiful,talented wife made this giant cup cake.Tastes as good as it looks as well.We had a slice each in bed with a cup of tea this morning!.

P

Partsguy26

Have to say that looks awesome!!! That's my next model but a 1/72 scale so it's good to see a finished one.

Well done mate :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hmm. Dont know what to do other than fine wet and dry, and spray it again Sam....

Luxury cup cake in bed...Wedding Anniversary? Sure looks good.

Ian M

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
That is an enormous cupcake! Regarding the varnish, have you tried yet another coat? Try gloss and then flat again. I saved one paint job this way. Otherwise Ian's advice is your alternative. If you do re varnish, it might pay to try it on a small section of the model first.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
The white effect might have been caused by too much varnish - I've seen it happen once with vallejo. It's difficult spraying something you can't see !