Airfix 1/48 JU87B Stuka

First Name
Dave
View attachment 36796View attachment 36797View attachment 36798View attachment 36799

I've just finished building the Airfix 1/48 Stuka.This is an old kit with heavy raised lines and rivet detail.So i decided to sand it all off and rescribe it.Only in some places like the tailplanes i've been a bit heavy handed and given it that old Matchbox kit look!.I've got a Tamiya scribing tool and find it very easy to scribe too deep with it.So on my next build (Henschel HS129) im using a needle held in a pin vice for the scribing.I painted the model with Xtracolour enamel paints RLM65/70/71 and finished it as a Battle of Britain aircraft using the kit decals.The Swastika's came from an after market sheet

View attachment 41024

View attachment 41025

View attachment 41026

View attachment 41027

IMG_0958.jpg

IMG_0956.jpg

IMG_0966.jpg

IMG_0963.jpg

B

beav1013

nice job dave. good work on rescribing and the canopy. the stuka canopies are something else...

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fantastic work dave, i really admire anyone who has the skill (not to mention guts!) to rescribe an entire model. The finish is superb , you would never believe it was an old airfix kit, it looks like the latest hasegawa!! cheers tony

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Very nice build Dave. Great paint job. Your hard work has paid off.

Vaughan

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice Work Dave.

I can see that I will have to look into this re-scribing lark.

Seeing that it would seem you have the hang of this, fancy doing a demo? I am sure that there are many of us that would be glad for some tips.

A great result with the Stuka.

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Very nice indeed,good job. I'm afraid my connection is so bad I've only seen your first photo but I will be trying to see more later.

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Dave
Thanks for the nice comments everyone.as for the scribing,all i do is scribe alongside the existing raised lines using a 6 inch rule as a guide.I make several light passes with the scribing tool until im happy with the result.Then i sand off the raised detail and give the model a wash with washing up liquid.I always make mistakes and just fill them with Squadron green filler and do it again.Im no expert at it but ive done 5 models now and am getting better.Im told Dymo tape makes a good scribing guide but ive yet to try it as i keep forgetting to buy some on the rare occasions im in town.Im currently in Hospital.Tomorrow morning im having 87 radioactive pellets implanted into my prostate to kill off my cancer.When i get out im signed off work for 10 Days.So im looking forward to some serious model making sessions.Every cloud has a silver lining !.Looking at my Stuka photos ive just noticed ive left the masking on the port wing landing light.Will remove that when i get home.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Nice build Dave, a lovely looking Stuka.

Hope everything goes alright with the op.

Tony.

T

treyzx10r

Dave, Best of luck with the procedure. The scribe job is great you pulled it off nicely. I use dymo tape and it helps. Very sharp looking build Sir!