Airfix 1:48 Me 109E

K

Keith9657

This is the 'limited edition' Airfix Club Me109E, a captured aircraft as flown by the Aircraft and Armament Experimental Establishment at Boscombe Down. There are two stories on the aircraft that I am aware of. The first from Airfix states that it was landed accidentally in England and the other from tinternet, that it was captured in France and flown here after about two weeks. There are no photos of the build as I was still getting to grips with my new camera. Its painted in Vallejo Model Air darView attachment 47010View attachment 47009View attachment 47008View attachment 47011k green and flat earth on top and the underside is Tamiya Lemon Yellow. I thought the yellow might be too bright but it toned itself down a bit.

The kit itself was very nice to build. it was well engineered as was the real thing. I havent built a 109 since I was a kid and I can see why Steve (stona) finds them so interesting.

Keith

View attachment 49992

View attachment 49993

View attachment 49994

View attachment 49995

me109c.jpg

me109c2.jpg

me109c3.jpg

me109c4.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Keith,nice job on the Bf 109. It had an interesting post capture history and went through various transformations before being shipped to the States were the Americans eventually crashed it!

As for how it came into allied hands both stories have elements of truth in them,but Airfix is the most incorrect.

This aircraft belonged to 1./JG 76 and was coded "White 1". It did land accidentally in allied territory,in fog,not as a result of combat as is often repeated on t'internet on 22/11/39.This was not in England (think of the date,well before Dunkirk and all that) but in an orchard in France at a place called Woerth in Bas-Rhin. The French captured it and it was initially tested by them.

It was transferred to the RAE on 14/5/40 for further testing and evaluation. Some famous RAF pilots flew it,"Sailor" Malan on 13/6/40 and Stanford Tuck is supposed to have flown it too.It was shipped to the US on 7/4/42,crashed later that year and was scrapped on 26/11/42 at Chanute Field.

There are some piccies in this thread of the aircraft in its various guises (as well as magnificent and illuminating contributions from yours truly :smiling3: ).

Britmodeller.com > Me-109 AE479

Cheers

Steve

K

Keith9657

Many thanks, Steve. I wondered what had happened to it after capture and testing. I found it hard to believe that a Luftwaffe pilot would have mistaken England for France.

The only problem I had in the build was the leading edge slats. Eventually I gave up and cemented them in the closed position.

There are some very good pictures and facts in the Britmodeller link. I wish I had found it before I started building mine. I might have gone for a bit of filth on the underside! I cant believe how dirty it got.

Keith

M

mobear

its strange to see it in non standard colours its fantastic,blows my mind lol,lovely build

mobear

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I found it hard to believe that a Luftwaffe pilot would have mistaken England for France. Keith
It did happen.

Most famously Oblt. Armin Faber of 7./JG2 landed his FW 190A-3 at RAF Pembrey by mistake on 23/6/42.He had engaged in combat with Spitfire VBs of 310(Czech) Sqn, shooting one down. It is thought he mistook the Bristol channel for the English channel and then flew a reciprocal course (an easy but beginner's mistake) for France hence ending up in Wales.

It was the first intact Fw 190 to fall into our hands and gave the RAF its first proper look at this formidable fighter.

There were other cases,particularly at night,when various Luftwaffe types landed the wrong side of the channel. The RAF did it too,one Spitfire landed at Schipol and parked up next to a couple of Bf 109s before realising,too late,that he was not back in Blighty!

Cheers

Steve

K

Keith9657

\ said:
its strange to see it in non standard colours its fantastic,blows my mind lol,lovely buildmobear
Thanks Ole. Yes, it is strange to see in RAF colours. When I painted it, it did take a bit of getting used to.

Keith

K

Keith9657

\ said:
It did happen. Most famously Oblt. Armin Faber of 7./JG2 landed his FW 190A-3 at RAF Pembrey by mistake on 23/6/42.He had engaged in combat with Spitfire VBs of 310(Czech) Sqn, shooting one down. It is thought he mistook the Bristol channel for the English channel and then flew a reciprocal course (an easy but beginner's mistake) for France hence ending up in Wales.

It was the first intact Fw 190 to fall into our hands and gave the RAF its first proper look at this formidable fighter.

There were other cases,particularly at night,when various Luftwaffe types landed the wrong side of the channel. The RAF did it too,one Spitfire landed at Schipol and parked up next to a couple of Bf 109s before realising,too late,that he was not back in Blighty!

Cheers

Steve
I dont know why I was so surprised really. In retrospect, it probably wasnt all that uncommon, especially with combat damage. Must have been a real D'oh moment for those that weren't though.

Keith

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Nice 109 Keith.

I do like these builds with odd colour schemes.

Tony.

A

AJay

That looks great, Keith! :smiling3: Great paint job, too. 5 big ones ***** from me.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A nice little build. It's always strange seeing a German bird in British paint.

If you want weird you should see a Spitfire in German camouflage!!!

If you want to see my rendition of the Fw190 Steve refered to you can have a look here: http://www.scale-models.co.uk/completed/9374-captured-fw190-pe682.html

Ian M

K

Keith9657

\ said:
A nice little build. It's always strange seeing a German bird in British paint. If you want weird you should see a Spitfire in German camouflage!!!

If you want to see my rendition of the Fw190 Steve refered to you can have a look here: http://www.scale-models.co.uk/completed/9374-captured-fw190-pe682.html

Ian M
That is a strange one Ian! I have an Eduard 32nd scale 109 in my stash and I might build that after my current project. Thats if I can master the Luftwaffe camo! Strange though the captured ones are, atleast the paint job is easier! :smiling3:

Keith

L

lemoff

The colour scheme does look odd hehe

A good job though, i enjoyed my 1/48 Airfix 109 kit but it got the standard colour scheme.

Also thanks for the history lesson Steve, very interesting.