Airfix 1/600 BISMARK

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
It's great to see more members building Navy ships on S.M. So I thought I would join the growing flotilla.

I've had this kit for years waiting to be built and it holds a special place for me. Way back in the very early 60's, it was the first kit I ever made. It ended it's days sat on a rockery being shot to pieces by .22 pellets.

I still have an old 8mm cine film of it's destruction.

I have an idea to model her in the icy waters of the Baltic en-route to Gotenhafen in early 1940.

So here she is, about to be re-born.....I hope!
P1290169.JPG

P1290168.JPG

P1290170.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Ron its great to see you also havin a go at a navy ship if this turns out as good as your MTB build we are all in for a treat brilliant carry on sir an a challenge for you 570 can you see if you can make it so its got smoke comin out of the funnell to look like she under way at full ahead flank ?
chris

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Izzy whizzy, let’s get bizzy....
I built this back in about 1970. I wonder if the moulds have held up LOL....
Didn’t you do this ship in 1/1200 a while ago? Seem to remember an excellent seascape with that one?

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I shall of course join the band of viewers 570, please don't expect me to join in with ship, I've not recovered since that episode with the sub, I still have nightmares.:fearful:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Count me in Ron, would be nice to see a airfix ship built properly!

Bob, I'm a bit upset to be honest. As John and Chris so rightly point out "There is nothing wrong with your ship!" However, they do take a long time to build and can be a pain in the a**e! Just stick with it.
I haven't delved into the bag of bits yet, but being an old kit, I'm expecting the worst. So I'll probably be joining you in the 'Tearing Hair Out.' Club!

Ron

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Bob, I'm a bit upset to be honest. As John and Chris so rightly point out "There is nothing wrong with your ship!" However, they do take a long time to build and can be a pain in the a**e! Just stick with it.
I haven't delved into the bag of bits yet, but being an old kit, I'm expecting the worst. So I'll probably be joining you in the 'Tearing Hair Out.' Club!

Ron
EXSCUSE me Ron for just putting this bit of advise on too
Carl an Bob now listen Ron is very right the advise he givin is spot on as im nearly bald lol but its worth it as these ships look very nice when finished :thumb2:
chris

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Smoke? Nice one Chris (boatman). But I doubt she'll be going full ahead flank through the ice. Unless Capt. Lindemann thinks he's on the Titanic!

Cracking idea Chris (langy71), but a 1/700 aircraft, being a smaller scale, would have to be placed behind the ship. Forced perspective and all that. It would be extremely difficult to pose them both for any pictures. However, a Swordfish at a bigger scale placed in front of the ship would certainly work. Trouble is, I'm pretty well sold on Bismark rattling through the ice of the Baltic Sea. We'll see.... Early days yet.
Thanks for the suggestion. :thumb2:

Thanks also to my good buddies on here for all your initial comments and suggestions. Thank goodness none were physically impossible! :flushed:

Cheers.
Ron

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob

Ron
Hi Ron

Do not look to close, i know its a very old kit with awful mouldings and fit but i should have done much better, its not a pretty sight lol. If it was not for your help and support it would have been bined a week ago lol

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Tony,
Glad to have you along. To be honest, I too had a .177. My dad bought it for me when he bought himself a .22. He 'lent' his gun to me to 'Sink the Bismark'. I was shooting at it from my bedroom window whilst he filmed it all.....Why his .22? The slugs wouldn't reach the ship using my .177!

Bob.
Thank you. I was only too glad to be of some help. Now you are earning your stripes with Nelson, your KG5 will be a breeze. It goes together really well and makes up into a cracking model. Trust me, you will enjoy the build.
Awful mouldings? Just wait 'til you see my Bismark's!

Onwards and upwards......

Thanks again chaps.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Bob, but I'll need an empty, not full one!

Ladies and Gentlemen, for your evenings amusement and delectation, I give you some of the sprue sections!

P1290171.JPG

P1290172.JPG

P1290173.JPG

P1290174.JPG

:upside: I thank you.....