Airfix 1/600 BISMARK

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
On my HMS Rodney I extended the camo pattern up onto the superstructure. 'Twas a b****r and yours are straight lines - less forgiving I reckon. Good luck.
If it all goes wrong just use the lower hull which you have cut off and model it sinking! ;)
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps.
Herr Stug. I've done about 4 seascapes during actual builds. I'm happy do do another, but surely it's a bit pointless?

Ian. Yes, I've seen Tirpitz's paintwork. Have you seen her in her 'land' Camouflage? Now that's a challenge and one that I must have a stab at sometime soon....But NOT on an Airfix Kit!
The reason I cut off the lower hull was it's a bit like a tit on a bull - Not necessary. It also makes the seascape a bit easier through not having to bury the hull into the base.

Jim. Thanks. I've locked in an idea for the lower hull. ;)

Update....
Yesterday, I painted the superstructure stripes using a titchy pointed brush.
I roughly marked the lines with a pencil. With all the ins and outs, it was impossible to mark dead straight lines. So I had to try and get the lines near enough to be some sort of guide.

I painted on a thin coat with white first. Keep in mind, 'Dark over light' This means, that although initially the white is painted over the light grey, the final cutting in is the grey, one side, and black the other. Much easier that trying to obliterate the black with the white. I managed to get the white summat like straight, then repeated with the black. Took a blimp to see how things were shaping up, then applied a second and third coat of both. Straightening, and also making sure the lines were getting parallel as I progressed. At the final stage, I painted any 'wobbles' with both colours, but also used the light grey on the outer edges of the stripes to finish things off.

The camera lens has again bent the hull and made the stern stripes look slightly stepped. They are in line, honest!
P1290336.JPG

P1290338.JPG

P1290339.JPG

'Swasty Tickers' and aircraft to do. Check the brute over, then that's it, finally ready for rigging.

Cheers and thanks for your continued support and excellent posts. All much appreciated and believe me sorely needed!

Ron

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
OH 570 this is really great work as i think i would think twice about painting up the s/s but you have done a grand job of it an 570 it is stepped as it goin up the different deck levels brilliant work chap an put it in a seascape please
chris

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys.

Chris, it will be going in a seascape. Hopefully, a very cold one. ;)

Jim. It was a s*d to do, but well worth the effort, as she sort of looks better now in her striped paint, as I would best recognize her.

Thanks again for your complimentary posts, chaps.

I've just come back home from having my first 'Jab', so made for a nice read.

Ron

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks to Jim and Chris.

I've completed the rigging, but before I did, I added a couple of relatively important bits to the masts that were not in the kit, ( There's a surprise!) but are plainly seen on Bismark.

I used ezee line. I haven't a clue what diameter. I won it at the now infamous RAF Cosford Model Show Raffle! All stuck with UHU glue. Using this type of glue allows me to shuffle the lines about and adjust the tension too.

I used my now honed to perfection, R5 method. During the handful of ship models I've managed to complete, this way of rigging has served me well.

"What is R5.?" you ask. It stands for 'Ron's Rough and Ready, Ropey Rigging'. My using R5 completely throws any would be 'Rigging Counters' into despair and leaves me in peace.

Here is my Bismark finally ready for a swim......

P1290362.JPG

P1290363.JPG

P1290364.JPG

Cheers.
Kapitan-Leutnant, Burkard von Mullenheim-Rechberg (Survivor, 26th May 1941)

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Thanks chaps.
Herr Stug. I've done about 4 seascapes during actual builds. I'm happy do do another, but surely it's a bit pointless?

Ian. Yes, I've seen Tirpitz's paintwork. Have you seen her in her 'land' Camouflage? Now that's a challenge and one that I must have a stab at sometime soon....But NOT on an Airfix Kit!
The reason I cut off the lower hull was it's a bit like a tit on a bull - Not necessary. It also makes the seascape a bit easier through not having to bury the hull into the base.

Jim. Thanks. I've locked in an idea for the lower hull. ;)

Update....
Yesterday, I painted the superstructure stripes using a titchy pointed brush.
I roughly marked the lines with a pencil. With all the ins and outs, it was impossible to mark dead straight lines. So I had to try and get the lines near enough to be some sort of guide.

I painted on a thin coat with white first. Keep in mind, 'Dark over light' This means, that although initially the white is painted over the light grey, the final cutting in is the grey, one side, and black the other. Much easier that trying to obliterate the black with the white. I managed to get the white summat like straight, then repeated with the black. Took a blimp to see how things were shaping up, then applied a second and third coat of both. Straightening, and also making sure the lines were getting parallel as I progressed. At the final stage, I painted any 'wobbles' with both colours, but also used the light grey on the outer edges of the stripes to finish things off.

The camera lens has again bent the hull and made the stern stripes look slightly stepped. They are in line, honest!
View attachment 413206

View attachment 413207

View attachment 413208

'Swasty Tickers' and aircraft to do. Check the brute over, then that's it, finally ready for rigging.

Cheers and thanks for your continued support and excellent posts. All much appreciated and believe me sorely needed!

Ron
Oh my lord, this has shaped up to be a beauty, Very nice work indeed.
I haven't built many ships over the years.... I think the last one was a tiny Russian akula class submarine, gawd knows where that is nowadays..

First Name
Carl
Cheers Bob. :thumb2:

'Swasty Tickers' decals applied, then I marked and painted the 'legs'.
View attachment 413272

View attachment 413273

I also painted, added the decals and glued in place the green blob of an excuse for an aircraft.

Here she is, and as far as I'm concerned, finally ready for the rigging.
View attachment 413271

Cheers,
Ron
That looks really good, I’m amazed at how detailed it is for such a small scale although I’m not sure how my eyes would cope.

Reactions: JR

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Excellent job Ron. The paint job turned out great and the rigging works just fine.

Off to look up the landscape camo....

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Excellent job Ron. The paint job turned out great and the rigging works just fine.

Off to look up the landscape camo....
RON this is not critiusum of your 'Swasty Tickers' as they look very good but this is just an observatin while watchin a war progame on the telly i see that the 'Swasty Tickers' are not straight to the bow but painted on at an angle
chris