Airfix 1/600 BISMARK

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks ever so much for all the continued support during this build. I appreciate you good people taking the time to post your most encouraging comments.

Chris. a bit of a can of worms are these 'ere Swasty Tickers'. I've only come across one model of Bismark with them on the angle. None in reality....

I've seen a 'real' picture of the Heavy Cruiser Prinz Eugen with them on the angle, though.

To further compound the question, here is a photo of Bismark at Hamburg. Presuming it is Bismark!
P1290391.JPG
discussion purposes......

There are images of the shipwreck which show both swastikas clearly enough, but it's difficult to orientate the images. The one on the stern does show it between the two deck vents which indicates it is square and not at an angle.

Be interesting if we get the right answer, me thinks. Either way, I ain't repainting them. ;) Thanks for the input. :thumb2:

Ron

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Thanks ever so much for all the continued support during this build. I appreciate you good people taking the time to post your most encouraging comments.

Chris. a bit of a can of worms are these 'ere Swasty Tickers'. I've only come across one model of Bismark with them on the angle. None in reality....

I've seen a 'real' picture of the Heavy Cruiser Prinz Eugen with them on the angle, though.

To further compound the question, here is a photo of Bismark at Hamburg. Presuming it is Bismark!
View attachment 413492
discussion purposes......

There are images of the shipwreck which show both swastikas clearly enough, but it's difficult to orientate the images. The one on the stern does show it between the two deck vents which indicates it is square and not at an angle.

Be interesting if we get the right answer, me thinks. Either way, I ain't repainting them. ;) Thanks for the input. :thumb2:

Ron
OK Ron I TAKE your point about repainting them as i dont think i would either an i think you are right about it being the Heavy Cruiser Prinz Eugen as was with the admril hipper an remebering the program on telly was great escapes of world war two where admrill donizt if thats right organised a great german people excapse from the russions
chris ps a bueaty that model will look great in the wetstuff on a dio

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Sorted Chris. Nice one. :thumb2:

Just to round things up, here is a picture taken from Admiral Hipper during the sinking of HMS Glowworm. You can see the angled S.W. I see where the confusion has arisen now.
P1290393.JPG
Discussion only.

All good stuff and keeps us on our toes.

Going off at a tangent. The worst maritime drowning of all time so far occurred during the evacuation you mention. The cruise ship cum Hospital Ship, Wilhelm Gustloff embarked refugees from Danzig (Gdansk) in Jan. 1945, aiming to flee the Russian advance. She was torpedoed by a Russian Submarine...Nearly 10,000 souls lost their lives. The accounts of the sinking make for good, but harrowing reading.

Whilst I was searching for images of swastikas, I came across a photo of Bismark's bow area being painted with the false wave etc. and I spotted there was NO boot topping forward of the wave, so.....
Here is my model re- painted with the boot topping obliterated.
P1290392.JPG

Wow, this is fun. The hull paint is now nearly as thick as a docker's butty!

I ain't going to look at any more photos of the ship, but will now concentrate on the base.

Cheers,
I. Will Plasster.

First Name
Tony
Going off at a tangent. The worst maritime drowning of all time so far occurred during the evacuation you mention. The cruise ship cum Hospital Ship, Wilhelm Gustloff embarked refugees from Danzig (Gdansk) in Jan. 1945, aiming to flee the Russian advance. She was torpedoed by a Russian Submarine...Nearly 10,000 souls lost their lives. The accounts of the sinking make for good, but harrowing reading.

Remember some years ago watching a DVD film about this, just awful.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
GOD 570 youve altered that ship more time then the real thing lol :rolling: :flushed: but i admire your drive to get it right an regards the S/W havin them painted like in your pic at a angle makes them to me seem more evil an i was sure i dint imagine it an you done well to get the pic off your telly as its only a quick flash at the bow where the S/W is very well done boyo now lets see her with the hood along side ? as ive never hardly seen the comparisons of the two ships as if ive got it right hood was just a heavy battle cruiser but bizzy was a full fleged battleship
chris

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good morning Her 570.

Was concerned at first when I saw the cutter in action ! good idea really saves having a really thick base to hide that hull in.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Doing research will be your undoing It's like feeling a bit under the weather, checking your symptoms on the 'tinterweb and discovering you've get everything from bubonic plague to ingrowing toenails.
Leave well alone she looks great.
Jim

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Every photo I have seen and some extremely detailed builds (by German modellers as a side note), ALL have the swastika painted straight left to right and not at an angle.
You are totally fine Ron.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Ron
Doing research will be your undoing It's like feeling a bit under the weather, checking your symptoms on the 'tinterweb and discovering you've get everything from bubonic plague to ingrowing toenails.
Leave well alone she looks great.
Jim
YEA Jim 570 quit while youre ahead lol
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Every photo I have seen and some extremely detailed builds (by German modellers as a side note), ALL have the swastika painted straight left to right and not at an angle.
You are totally fine Ron.
WELL Ian as you can see in the pic they were angled
CHRIS

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Whilst I was searching for images of swastikas, I came across a photo of Bismark's bow area being painted with the false wave etc. and I spotted there was NO boot topping forward of the wave, so.
but they wasn't finished yet lol i saw the photo as well

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for all your input boys

Ian and Chris...Calm down chaps. It's just a poxy bit of plastic! ;)

Jim, I usually leave research well alone and don't normally give a stuff for accuracy, but having seen the various 'colours' and camouflage used on Bismark, it would bug me looking at the thing and knowing I knew summat was (as far as I was concerned) not right on my model and I was too idle to correct it!

On the plus side, whilst the alterations have been a ball ache, I have sort of inadvertently, found out loads more about one of my favourite ships.

Having rittid the above, I have no doubt certain elements of the modelling fraternity could rip my model to pieces from one end to 'tuther!

But guess what?.......:tongue-out3:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
A bit strange though isn’t it. They are designed to act as permanent aerial recognition flags. These were made from Nazi flags on vehicles. All Nazi flag images I can find have the central logo on the angle, not square to the pole.
It does make them look incongruous :tongue-out3:
Perhaps it was an anti Nazi gesture from the dockyard staff LOL.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
YES you may be right Tim an Ron im not gettin humpty over it i was just sayin of an observation only to Ian ok
chris

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Steady the ship!.......It's history and I'm moving on. ;)

Bit of a hiccup today. I'm unable to acquire any silicone for the seascape. The shop I normally get it from (Nice and cheap) is not selling any D.I.Y gear, as it's deemed "Not necessary' due to 'You Know What'. I ain't risking my neck wandering around trying to locate the stuff either!

So the finished base will have to wait. I might be able to bribe no. 1 son to get some silicone for me when he is out and about. We'll see.

Cheers.
Herr I. C. Lolipopp. Refrigeration and Freezer Engineer. (Bismark. The Baltic Sea, March 1941)

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I'm unable to acquire any silicone for the seascape. The shop I normally get it from (Nice and cheap) is not selling any D.I.Y gear, as it's deemed "Not necessary' due to 'You Know What'.
How on earth silicone for a "Ron Special Seascape" is not deemed esential I don't know. Just shows how out of touch our polititians are :rolling:
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Jim, I've contacted Boris and he assures me he will send a box full of silicone tubes F.O.C. on the new High Speed Rail Link! - Just as soon as it's finished, that is......

Sorry Pete. I missed your post. Yes, we have one about 6 miles away, but I don't really want to leave my property and my conscience wouldn't allow me to anyway and knowing my luck, I would get pulled by the law when going there! My best bet is my son, he's a plumber and regularly goes there. None the less, thank you for the suggestion.

Ron

Last edited: