Airfix 1/600 RMS Mauretania - completed

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Well, finished, despite the last minute revelation that the Airfix painting instructions are wrong, but the box top is right!
DSCF3589.JPGDSCF3590.JPGDSCF3588.JPGDSCF3591.JPG
All I can say is that for 1964 moulds, the fit is pretty good - the detail doesn't compare to any modern models, but for it's day it must have been top line. The decals hadn't stood the test of time, though!
I made things a bit more complicated by waterlining the model - a habit of mine ( I know it horrifies some! ). I originally had thought to make a sea base, but decided that the model didn't really warrant the effort & time to make one!
The box top shows the correct painting of the hull - I haven't been able to find one contemporary photograph of the Mauretania painted as per the Airfix instructions. Apart from waterlining, I opened up one or two small vents & filled the lifeboats with putty to simulate the canvas covers always fitted.
Aside from the Titanic, this is the only injection moulded liner model of that era, so it's the only game in town, and in consequence prices reflect this - £35-40 - a collectors price - too high for a builder, unless you have a reason to build it!
Who knows Hornby/Airfix may someday blow off the moulds & produce a 'new' Classic model.
I got mine off Ebay as 'incomplete' models & managed to cobble together enough bits for one complete model, but that's it.
I did this model, as I had had a dip in mojo for benchtime - I can say this wasn't the best model to choose to give me a stimulus - I almost binned it several times, and had trouble in getting past the finishing line. I'm going to drop out of any Group Builds I've joined, and I think I'm going to do a few builds without blogging them, and see if I can regain some enthusiasm..............
Dave

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Crikey Dave, I'm still messing around with my Magach 6B dio, and you keep knocking these beauties out like you're shelling peas...I promise to pull my finger out...
lovely looking build though mate, another one to be proud of..:thumb2:

good to see the Wizzy Grindy Type Thingy being put to good use as well... ;)

Last edited:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Crikey Dave, I'm still messing around with my Magach 6B dio, and you keep knocking these beauties out like you're shelling peas...I promise to pull my finger out...
lovely looking build though mate, another one to be proud of..:thumb2:

good to see the Wizzy Grindy Type Thingy being put to good use as well... ;)
Chris,
I'm pleased with it - I'm just annoyed I spent several years not using my Dremel because it was big , clunky & wired, when there was a cheaper, much more convenient alternative. I almost feel like getting another as a spare! ( My Dremel has now been passed on to my brother - I hope he can get some use out of it! )
Dave

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Well Dave, despite the struggles and age of the kit you've certainly done the old girl proud...

Nick

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
That has turned out very nice, Dave.
An excellent result.

Ron

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Well done getting this over the finish line. I don't remember ever seeing a build of the Mauritania.