Airfix 1:72 Avro Vulcan B.2 New tool

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well how long have I been waiting for this. The delivery date has slipped a few times, but today a big box arived.
IMG_1199.JPG

I'm going for this one. I already have the previous Airfix Vulcan in white.
IMG_1200.JPG

Nice detail, recessed panel lines, but I don't think these will need anymore highlighting !
IMG_1202.JPG

Some nice interior detail - I don't know what these bits are, but they will probably never be seen again after building.
IMG_1204.JPG

Lots of other sprues.
IMG_1203.JPG

I've warned the wife she won't be seeing me for a while, she seemed ok with that ? Hopefully, I can make a start tomorrow.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
well dont know about you guys but for me its one of the GREATS aircraft an i would dearly love to build all three V bombers but im still workin on tiger
chris

Reactions: JR

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Got to love a Vulcan. Managed to see the last flying one at Fairford the final year it was allowed to fly

ATB.

Andrew

First Name
Michael
Can highly recommend the Haynes workshop manual for the Vulcan. Lots of photographs if you want to step up the detail.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Very nice looking kit, Colin.

Do you remember back in the good old days when we all used to meet at Cosford, "Under the Vulcan wing at 12 noon."?

Villains to a man!
P1220428.JPG

Sorry, back to your build....

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Very nice looking kit, Colin.

Do you remember back in the good old days when we all used to meet at Cosford, "Under the Vulcan wing at 12 noon."?

Villains to a man!
View attachment 427657

Sorry, back to your build....
Good old days indeed Ron. Maybe next year ? I sort of miss the £5.00 build challenge.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I'm not really a jet fan but who doesn't love a Vulcan? Yum!
Yes Neil, most of my builds have a big fan or more on the front. But the Vulcan, is a bit special.

Great aircraft…..hope the kit does it justice!
The kit looks very good. The 'new tool' Airfix releases are generally spot on. Always a good balance between detail and cost.
if you want to step up the detail.
This will probably be straight out of the box. The decision to make will be to keep the air frame clean, or doors / air brakes open etc.
love to build all three V bombers
I've actually done that some years ago. But that was the old kit of the Airfix Vulcan.
3 dia.JPG

Managed to see the last flying
I've seen it fly a few times. I remember the 'Vulcan effect well'

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Colin
A truly iconic aircraft of the Cold War era. I've read good things about this kit. Looking forward to your build.
Jim

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Very nice Colin, it looks a lot better than the old one detail wise. has it go the bomb bay detail? I had to scratch build mine when I built it.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Yes Neil, most of my builds have a big fan or more on the front. But the Vulcan, is a bit special.

The kit looks very good. The 'new tool' Airfix releases are generally spot on. Always a good balance between detail and cost.

This will probably be straight out of the box. The decision to make will be to keep the air frame clean, or doors / air brakes open etc.

I've actually done that some years ago. But that was the old kit of the Airfix Vulcan.

HI Colin cheers for the lovely pic of all three V Bomber's they look great all ready to go on a one way misson an back in the 60' at an B/B airshow at RAF COLTISHALL i walked around all three of these planes in real if i only could have affored a camera as dint have much money in them days as always skint as i never got given pockect money as my parents were poor SO no p- money for a camera an now got a video camera an nothing to vid that crazy an'it it as raf coltishall is now a prison What a come down an sad to me anyway
chris

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I will always remember when I was working at RAF Akrotiri in about 1970 there was a Vulcan in the air 24/7 with a full load of armament. The most amazing thing I saw was a Vulcan take off and proceed to do aerobatics. The pilot must have thought he was flying a Tiger Moth ! How something so big could be so nimble defied belief.
John.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Aircraft are sometimes more acrobatic than they appear John. During testing for the prototype 747 the test pilot performed a barrel roll because the design figures said it should be possible…..it apparently never went down very well with the project team :smiling2: