Airfix 1:72 Avro Vulcan B.2 New tool

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Very nice Colin, it looks a lot better than the old one detail wise. has it go the bomb bay detail? I had to scratch build mine when I built it.
Indeed it has.
IMG_1205.JPG

There's no comparison between this Vulcan and the previous, not surprising really since the other was released in the early 80's. Good lord, somewhere around 40 years ago.
Anyway, I've just put this little lot together, and nearly built a cockpit, but there's still more to add yet on the next page of instructions. The original kit had about 8 parts making the cockpit, and that included two pilots. Things have moved on.
IMG_1206.JPG

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
This is a terrific looking airplane.........my first and only experience with it being the 1965 James Bond thriller, "Thunderball"! Will there be Nukes aboard? :thumb2: Rick H.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
This is a terrific looking airplane.........my first and only experience with it being the 1965 James Bond thriller, "Thunderball"! Will there be Nukes aboard? :thumb2: Rick H.
YEA Rick i love that bond film Thunderball with the vulcan bein crash landed in the sea fantastic film but it upset me to see a beautifull vulcan bein dumped in the sea i know now that it was proberly a plastic one or one where the airframe hrs were up so the film company bought it for the film but it still got to me an still does whenever i see the film :crying:
Chris

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
but it upset me to see a beautifull vulcan bein dumped in the sea i know now that it was proberly a plastic one
Not to worry Chris, it was a fake Vulcan.

So, a couple of evenings gave me this. I didn't spend to much time here. You really can't see much when the canopy is in place. So, it was paint, dry brush and a filter coat, nothing else added.
Pit 1.JPG

Pit 2.JPG

Just for comparison, the original Airfix Vulcan's cockpit was made of these few parts. But ironically, once the canopy is on, you might not spot the difference.
Vintage cockpit.JPG

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Oh, talking of the cockpit:

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Hi Colin,
I can remember spending long days hanging over the fence at Waddington and Scampton during my spotting days when they were in service. And even had a couple of base visits to get up close and personal with them.
Mike

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I can remember spending long days hanging over the fence at Waddington and Scampton during my spotting days
Many of us, of a certain age, have fond memories of these amazing aircraft.

I've done a bit. Airfix provide this - for the weight. Nice, I stopped piling in the lead at 58g. Is anyone actually brave enough just to add what the kit manufacturer recommends ?
Weight.JPG

And then built the bomb bay. It's nicely detailed, but sadly all hidden away on the Blue Steel aircraft.
BB1.JPG

BB2.JPG

Speaking of Blue Steel. If this is your choice of aircraft, you will need to chop up your newly acquired kit. You have to chop the wings up a bit to fit the Blue Steel recess.
This is not a Tamiya etc, this kit needs a bit of modelling to make it work.
Lower wings.JPG

I'm sure there's a few of us who remember the 'vintage' Vulcan and its air intakes. Well things are a bit better this time around, but there's still so difficult seams to deal with.
IMG_1233.JPG

But oh dear, what was Mr Airfix thinking here. The oleo of the main gear are split. The below is two pieces glued together. It's fixable, but why ?
Oleo.JPG

Right, I think I've got some air intakes to shape.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Having fun is the best part of modeling Collin.......the second best part is figuring out how to have it! :tongue-out3: I'm sure you'll get it all sorted and this will be a great addition to your model family.:thumb2: Rick H.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Very nice looking kit, Colin.

Do you remember back in the good old days when we all used to meet at Cosford, "Under the Vulcan wing at 12 noon."?

Villains to a man!
View attachment 427657

Sorry, back to your build....

OK! Own up! I've attended all the visits to Cosford and am in fact one of the founder members of the Cosford Massive seen here - so who's airbrushed me out of this picture?

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
OK! Own up! I've attended all the visits to Cosford and am in fact one of the founder members of the Cosford Massive seen here - so who's airbrushed me out of this picture?
Good question. I'm fairly sure Ron got a passer by to take the picture - so, what were you doing during this role call ?

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
COR Dave you bein airbrushed out of the piccy is disgracefull yea i wonder who did the deed an now i'll ask what raskals are they by name starting from the front an working backwards ?
chris

Reactions: JR

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Just had a quick catch up Colin.

That's coming on nicely.

ATB.

Andrew

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
More bits have been liberated from the sprues. Airfix have provided templates to help with the alignment of the camouflage. A nice touch, except there are seams that need filling and sanded.
Intake instructions.JPG

Which means, after a bit of work, you've lost your lines. But still, at least the seams aren't to bad.
Intake.JPG

These are the bits for the front wheel well. Not a bad level of detail. The main gear wells are detailed to the same level as well.
WW1.JPG

Then the wheel wells get fitted without any drama, along with the bomb bay internals and a rather robust frame for a bit of strength.

So, it's time to start sanding the intake seams, ohhhh, flash backs to the 'vintage' Vulcan...........
Lower wing.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
That's coming along well Colin. A few little gotchas in that kit by the looks of things, but you have it under control.