Airfix 1:72 Avro Vulcan B.2 New tool

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Lived with the sound of these beasts taking off and landing at Wittering. To see one in the air on take off is something else. Not so good when one crashed on take off and an engine landed in a friend's garden having just missed his house. Unfortunately all the crew were killed.

Looking good Colin, your certainly having some fun building it !.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Be good to see some paint on this, does look a grubby white to me, as you say it probably wouldn't have stayed factory fresh for long.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Jakko, The pylon is actually part of the Aircraft structure. Each aircraft is designed to carry a certain amount of ordnance. Each pylon is called a "wing station" most times designated by a number. The weight of said ordnance is critical in weight and balance issues regarding aircraft "trim". Sorry for "jacking" your thread Colin. Rick H. :thumb2:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I know, but many aircraft weapons have a specific launch pylon/rail that must be attached to the weapon station that forms part of the plane, before the weapon itself can be installed. Like, for example, Sidewinder launch rails:

SidewinderAIM9A-4TacticalPocketGuideFORUM.gif

I don’t know if this is also the case for Blue Steel, but it seems plausible given the colour difference between the plane and the missile pylon.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
6491472185_fc5fde8cdd_b.jpg
How about this one. Aircraft and missile side by side I'm convincing myself that the white underside, is an off white colour.

Could actually be a reflection of the concrete?

Also, if the off-white colour is a reflection of the concrete, then the missile’s underside would be that dark too,

Look how close those houses are in the background. Separated from a nuclear missile by a chain link fence and the chance meeting with an angry Alsatian. Different times !

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
You got right the second time Jakko..... it's a launch rail and is part of the weapons system. A pylon is an integral term for the aircraft structure that the system is attached to. Rick H.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
How about this one. Aircraft and missile side by side I'm convincing myself that the white underside, is an off white colour.
Based on that, I think I’d paint the aircraft with white that has a (very) little bit of another colour mixed in, just enough to get it not stark white.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
And so the marathon painting begins.

I've painted the 'slightly' off white underside, then started on the upper surfaces. Medium sea grey (I think) just slapped on free hand. Then came the worms. I've actually started the green, but I'll be painting in stages, for three reasons.
1, I haven't got enough 'silly putty'
2, The poor compressor will, I'm sure, object to trying to spray all this area in one session.
3, Finally, I'm having to stand, and slightly bend over to apply the paint. My old back won't last that long.
IMG_1273.JPG

And the worms.
IMG_1275.JPG

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Mmmmm ! Worms ! Looking great colin cant wait to see the green go on , such an iconic 60s/70s look .

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
THIS is gonna look a brilliant model always loved the vulcan an the victor but not so keen on the ole vailant
chris

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Good luck with the camo Colin. Rather you than me with that much on show.

ATB.

Andrew

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Green, it has green on it. Generally, it all went well, with the obvious problem of handling such a large beast. Some edges needed a slightly 'harder' line, others required 'rounding' off. But using MRP paints, means any corrections are easy to do, and very quick, that stuff dries really quickly. Decals were started yesterday. There's quite a few, but not a silly amount considering the size of the beast. Most are warnings and instructions on the underside of the aircraft. Looking at this picture, I can see a couple of areas that could still do with a bit of rectification, well, I'll have a think about it........

Another thing obvious here are the panel lines. I'm quite sure I won't be applying any wash to the beast, I think they already stand out well enough. But there's a thing, some of you know I do like a dirty bird. But that would be wrong here, so this will be a very clean model. This aircraft represents Britain's nuclear deterrent of the 1960's, it's not going to look like a scrapper is it ?

IMG_1277.JPG