Airfix 1:72 Avro Vulcan B.2 New tool

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Airfix have provided templates to help with the alignment of the camouflage. A nice touch, except there are seams that need filling and sanded.
That’s a novel way to do it, but a very good idea for painting an area that’s difficult to reach and judge whether you’ve painted deep enough.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Colin

Coming in very nicely indeed.

Well done so far.

Andrew

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks everyone for having a look.
Well, my build rate is inversely proportional to the weather. I spend most of my time watering the garden. However, I have done a touch more.

This little lot below, is just waiting for the upper wings to be fitted. I've done a few trial fits and generally, all look good. But it's still quite a job lining everything up. I'll be reverting to good old liquid poly for this part of the build. I'll need a bit of wiggle time.
IMG_1244.JPG

Moving on to the exhausts, there a lot of parts, all looking very similar. So, Airfix have been quite clever here and numbered the parts. So once removed from the sprue, things shouldn't get mixed up.

IMG_1248.JPG

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Excellent progress colin , looks a well thought out kit , cheers tony

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Now that's a sensible idea!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Upper wings fitted. They didn't really present any 'fit' problems, they are just so big, a bit of care is needed. All 18 wheels also completed along with the landing gear.
IMG_1249.JPG

Well I wasn't expecting that. I was about to start masking the canopy and thought a trial fit would be a good idea. It didn't fit. The seats were to high. The seats fit into slots in the cockpit floor, I'm sure both seats were fully inserted and indeed, looked ok. So, I had to break them out, file them down and re-fit.
IMG_1251.JPG

Seats re-fitted in their lowered position. Any pilot would have a job to see out of this canopy now. I'll have to have a little search to see if any other builds have had this problem.
IMG_1253.JPG

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Could well be the problem results from the seats being at the correct height, but the canopy thickness being that of scale armoured glass?

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Colin
She sure is big!! Looks great. The seat problem is really odd but sorted.
Jim

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Could well be the problem results from the seats being at the correct height, but the canopy thickness being that of scale armoured glass?
You might be right Jakko. I haven't found another build (I haven't looked to hard) on the web at this stage yet, so no other reports of the problem. It could still be something I did.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
It looks like its the season for seats sitting too high and fouling the canopy ! Nice fix colin , its looking mighty triangular now !
regards Ivana Dorito

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
It looks like its the season for seats sitting too high and fouling the canopy !
Well, it seems I'm not the only one, I've found a build on BM with the same problem.

Anyway, more has been done. The front and rear fuselage have met each other. Unfortunately, where they met, isn't an actual panel line, and the fit leaves a bit of a gap to deal with, which all means, a bit of work required here.
Fuselage completed.JPG

Then there is the deflectors. Fitted as stand alone units means quite a bit of blending in.
Deflector.JPG

So all these gaps need filling. I'm not sure what Airfix are trying to achieve doing things this way.
Deflector fitted.JPG

After a few hours of filling and sanding we are here. The tail fin took a while to get to sit properly. The locating tabs were to wide, and possible a bit to deep as well.
Ready for primer.JPG

In fact, I've got to say I'm spending a lot of time making parts fit, and a fair bit of filling / sanding. That's ok, it's old school modelling, but I'm a bit of a fan of new tool Airfix as normally, they go together so well. There's normally and area or two to deal with, but no drama. With the Vulcan, there seems to be a bit more extra work required than I would expect of a new tool kit.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Shame about the extra work but it's certainly looking the part now.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Colin
Shame about the fit issues but you're sorting them. Looking very good.
Jim

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well I lost count of how many times I sanded and re-sprayed those pesky intakes. Anyway, they're about 95% ok. I found myself examining them with a magnifying glass, then had a quiet word with myself 'put the magnifying glass down'
So, all primered up, ready for paint.
Primer.JPG

I was hoping to get the white underside done tonight, however, the underside of in service Vulcan's didn't stay white for too long. Look at the shiny 'out of the stores' white Blue Steel, compared to the Vulcan's underside.
And this is one of the better examples I've found. I've seen pictures with an even greater colour difference. So, plain old white, will be to white, it's some sort of cream colour I think, even though it should be white. I'll have a think and get around to it tomorrow.
6491472587_1fb4c798ca.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Not sure if that is a photographic artefact Colin? The pylon the Blue Steel is attached too looks to be the same white, as does the one next to it. Could actually be a reflection of the concrete?

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Wouldn’t the pylon be a separate part specifically for the missile, only attached to the plane when the missile was to be carried? Also, if the off-white colour is a reflection of the concrete, then the missile’s underside would be that dark too, while it looks even whiter than the top, which is either in more shadow or reflecting the plane’s colour here, I think.