Airfix 1:72 Blackburn Buccaneer S.2C

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Lovely Colin, just makes me wanna get one as soon as it's in the LHS.

Now when there are internal parts near the rear end to be inserted it will tend to be a real tail sitter so get your weights ready in the nose area.

Cheers,
Richard

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
get your weights ready in the nose area
Not to worry Richard. The instructions called for 15g, I went for 17g, although, it was a hell of a tight fit getting it all in. I might just have to leave the hook down on this one, just in case.

Well, I think I have enough sub assemblies to make something like a Buccaneer.
19.JPG

A problem, at last. I knew it was going too well. The rear seat appears to be too high, the question is, can I persuade the seat out without any damage ?
20.JPG

Yes, that came out ok. See the square chunk on the bottom, it's supposed to be there, but maybe not that long.
21.JPG

Right then, even with the seat out, there's still a bit of a problem. It's like I need to thin the end of the canopy down a bit. No drama, an easy fix.
22.JPG

Or, just slide the canopy back, that'll work. Ignore the gap at the front part of the canopy, it isn't fixed yet.
23.JPG

The airbrake. A nice bit of detail, so it has to be open. A closed option is provided.
25.JPG

Now we are staring to look like a Bucc'
24.JPG

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That seems to be typical of these modern Airfix kits: they’re well-detailed and fit is generally good, but you get the odd thing that needs a lot of work to fix, and which you’ll probably only discover long after you wish you had.

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
Nice build there is one of these sitting outside a local garge on the road to lossie not as tidy as your its a bit more weatheredOk so no an exact replica but close

Attachments

• 0EA842AF-758D-4988-9B1D-CCA486FCAE09.jpeg
    0EA842AF-758D-4988-9B1D-CCA486FCAE09.jpeg
    173.4 KB · Views: 25

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Given the name of the filling station I see why they’d want to put a jet fighter next to it, but it still looks very odd to see that standing by the side of the road. Mind you, typing that made me remember that some years ago, someone living just outside the next village over from where I live, had a helicopter in the front garden, and I also know a house with an FV 433 Abbot in the garden.

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Colin
Looking good. Glad you could sort the seat fit easily. I quite like the canopy open as it shows the cockpit off. That's some ornament for a garage forecourt :smiling:
Jim

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Colin

Looking very nice indeed!!!

Well done.

Andrew

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Colin

Looking very nice indeed!!!

Well done.

Andrew

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice build there is one of these sitting outside a local garge on the road to lossie not as tidy as your its a bit more weatheredOk so no an exact replica but close
Brilliant, that's probably what he thought when he bought the Bucc'. A few years later, I wonder if he's having second thoughts.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Hi Colin
Looking good. Glad you could sort the seat fit easily. I quite like the canopy open as it shows the cockpit off. That's some ornament for a garage forecourt :smiling:
Jim
Indeed, I think the canopy will be open.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Given the name of the filling station I see why they’d want to put a jet fighter next to it, but it still looks very odd to see that standing by the side of the road. Mind you, typing that made me remember that some years ago, someone living just outside the next village over from where I live, had a helicopter in the front garden, and I also know a house with an FV 433 Abbot in the garden.
I've seen the nose section of a Canberra stored at the side of a normal everyday house, on a normal everyday housing estate. Nothing normal about having a slice of nuclear bomber next to your house.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It could have been the nose from a reconnaissance variant :smiling3: In any case most people seeing it probably won’t even recognise it as a piece of an aircraft, never mind from a nuclear bomber. Not so much chance of that with that Buccaneer next to the filling station, though.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL when I was on holl down south nr Christchurch I had a heck of a shock when I was drivein round a corner right in the middle of the rd stood a sea vixen an had to drive around it but still a shock I don't know if its still there though any body else seen that ?
chris

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Colin .
Very smart work .
While we're talking about odd things outside garages and houses, there was an allotment in Stamford with a tail gunners turret used as a mini greenhouse.
Gone now as houses built on it, wonder where that went ?

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Colin .
Very smart work .
While we're talking about odd things outside garages and houses, there was an allotment in Stamford with a tail gunners turret used as a mini greenhouse.
Gone now as houses built on it, wonder where that went ?
Hopefully it was used in the restoration of the real thing, however, it probably ended up as land fill.

Now you've all got me thinking, I'm nearly sure there used to be an aircraft on top of a building somewhere around Stoke on Trent. That's it, I'm off to find the thing.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
It could have been the nose from a reconnaissance variant
It probably was. But for comedy value, I preferred to tell the neighbours it was a nuclear bomber. Oh the look on their faces, will stay with me forever.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
There's a length of Lancaster fuselage at Newark Air Museum, that was used as a garden shed for a few decades! I think there's a gun turret in the park in Melton Mowbray.
Pete