Airfix 1:72 Blackburn Buccaneer S.2C

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
Brilliant, that's probably what he thought when he bought the Bucc'. A few years later, I wonder if he's having second thoughts.
just slightly further along the coast (burghead) we used to have a Shackleton engine in a tractor frame the old guy who had it only fired it up once must have been something else, long gone now.... id love a Shackleton planted in my garden but not sure she will let me

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I found it, somewhere near Longton (I think) in Stoke on Trent. I believe it lives on the roof there as the colours of the JP are the same as a local team, football or rugby I don't know.
26.JPG

Anyway, I've also done a bit of work on my own little Buccaneer. Finally, I'm ready for a bit of priming. The shinny bits are painted and many other tiny bits are ready for painting.
27.JPG

Air intakes and exhausts will be painted off the model and added later, it's just easier this way. Once attached, they will need to be 'blown in' but with this MRP paint, I don't think that will be a problem.
One reason it's taken me so long to get to this stage is, I'm a bit tight, and or lazy. If I can prime as much as possible in one go, I will. It also means I only have to clean the Ab once - lazy !

30.JPG

Like a number of jet aircraft I've built, I find black primer really suits them. Again, I'm nearly tempted to stop here.

29.JPG

So, getting ready for some colour, it's quite nice to be building an Airfix kit, when you have an Airfix colour chart. Even when you are using another brand of paint.
28.JPG

That's all for now. Hopefully, tomorrow night, I might get some paint on.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Progress is looking good Colin, I know what you mean by the procrastination. Mine is basically moving onto the next stage of build and masking. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

Last edited:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
A bit more. It's actually painted. I've made it a bit 'patchy' just to avoid 'single colour syndrome'
31.JPG

The intakes and exhausts were painted separately. I did make an effort to make them fit before painting, in hind sight, I should have made more of an effort !
However, the really nice thing about this MRP paint is it blends in so easily so a quick touch up once fitted was not going to be a problem.
33.JPG

However, how did I miss this ? I only spotted whilst spraying the airbrake, oh well.
32.JPG

Result. Intakes and exhaust fitted and blended in. That shiny bit of metal at the front of the intake was the reason for painting them off the model.
35.JPG
As airbrakes go, that's a monster, but cleverly, it also helps reduce the length of the aircraft to help with stowage on board a carrier.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking really nice now colin , i do love a buccaneer , theres just something about them . They were built like a brick ****house and were superbly designed and engineered for the job which they did flawlessy for years both in the navy and RAF. Cheers tony

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks chaps for stopping by.
Time to start the decals. There are loads of the tiny little things. This 'map' is just for the common decals. The aircraft specific decals are on another sheet. You certainly get your money's worth here.
36.JPG

Let battle commence.
37.JPG

And done, well just about. Honest.
38.JPG

The decals worked well, but there just a little on the bright side. I'll have to tone them down, but weathering won't be the answer as these were clean machines. So, maybe a filter coat ? What colour for the filter coat, dark grey ? Or totally the opposite direction, light grey ?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
What colour for the filter coat, dark grey ?
My go to is Payens grey Oil paint. Its a nice medium grey that works well as a down toner.

Nice work on the paint. What was it you used for the intake rims! well shiny!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Nice work here but why has it got 3 ejection markins on the left side ?
chris

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
My go to is Payens grey Oil paint
I'm a recent convert to oil. I like the idea. Would you brush it on as a very diluted mix or spray ?
why has it got 3 ejection markins on the left side
Good question Chris, I don't know, I just followed the instructions. There's only two on the other side. It is a bit odd isn't it ! But as you can see. They're genuine.
1571510396506.png

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I'm a recent convert to oil. I like the idea. Would you brush it on as a very diluted mix or spray ?
I make a thin wash or filter I guess they call it these days. I brush it on then after a while I dry brush it off with a soft flat brush. Drying it regularly on a tissue.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thats a mighty fine flying thing Colin!