Airfix 1:72 Blackburn Buccaneer S.2C

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
The Airfix Buccaneer. A kit eagerly awaited by many on forums up and down the country, if not across the world. And I'm more than happy to say, it's a good one. Some will moan about this or that being the wrong shape, panel lines being too deep etc. You know the type !
Anyway. I've finished mine at last and it's such a nice kit to build, I'll probably do the RAF version when they release that.
Some pics.
40.JPG

41.JPG
42.JPG
43.JPG
44.JPG
45.JPG
46.JPG
47.JPG

If you like the Buccaneer, buy it and build it, you won't be dissapointed. Comments and questions always welcome.

Colin M..

D

Deleted member 7181

That's a great looking aircraft and you've made a cracking job of building it.

I may have to put that on my list.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
It's on my list Colin...cracking build. Decals toned down well.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Colin
A very good result. Glad it has lived up to the pre-release hype.
Jim

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Beautiful job colin , its one of my fave aircraft ( i seem to have a lot of those!!) and youve absolutely nailed this build . Kudos to Airfix too for giving us a modern tooling in 1/72 , mind you their 1/48 isnt a bad effort too . Cheers tony

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I may have to put that on my list
Do it, you wont regret it.
Decals toned down well
That was something that used to catch me out. A slightly tired and worn aircraft with bright shiny decals. Even in the early days of modelling, I knew something wasn't quite right.
I still haven't managed to get one yet
Get one, or maybe wait until the RAF version comes out, which I'm sure it will. There's no way Airfix is going to miss out on that little number.
Glad it has lived up to the pre-release hype
It indeed has. It's also got me thinking about the new tool Phantom I never got around to buying. Telford soon !
mind you their 1/48 isnt a bad effort too
Well, Airfix have 'upscaled' their Tiger Moth, so maybe, a new 1:48 Buccaneer, isn't impossible.

Thanks for stopping by everyone. It has been a great kit to build, very satisfying, only the canopy created a bit of a problem. Ah yes, nose weight. 15g Airfix said, well I always like to add a bit more, so I went for 17g, just in case. This was a real problem, fitting 17g of lead in the nose. It goes in, but only just. Mind you, those fuel tanks are hollow.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That is a great Brick Colin. I have a soft spot for them as well Have built a couple and have two or three more in the stash. All the old but great 1/48. If they scale this up to 1/48 i will have to see how that pans out.
Very nice paint and as dirty as a Navy bird would get.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks for the comments chaps.
as dirty as a Navy bird would get
Weathering this old dear was a bit tricky. I imagined, this is what they might have looked like, just before handing them over to the RAF. Well that's my story !

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
that is just amazing great build not really in to aircraft but might just think about one or 3

nice very nice

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Great build, the Buccaneer is one of those legendary British aircraft

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Great build, the Buccaneer is one of those legendary British aircraft
The Buccaneer (and others of a similar age) remind me of the days when we had a proper aircraft industry and didn't need 'partnerships' or to buy from abroad.