Airfix 1/72 Blackburn Buccaneer S.2C

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
I picked this up the minute it came on sale. Another must have for my Royal Navy collection.

This will be less of a build review and just a progress blog.

The entire cockpit assembly was primed in black and I spent three hours yesterday painting and installing the Eduard P.E. set. I have decided I prefer to paint the cockpit colours by drybrushing them over a dark primer. I did this on my Tamiya Spitfire and a little Millenium Falcon I have had sitting around for years and very much like the result.

IMG_2823.JPG
IMG_2824.JPG
IMG_2825.JPG

For a sense of scale, the whole fuselage nose assembly is the same length as my middle finger.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great start chris , we all love a bucc , cheers tony

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
The new tool Buccaneer is a great kit. And that looks like a splendid 'pit you've created there.

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Thanks guys.

At 1/72 I never like the close ups. The coverage always looks poor, the lighting looks bad and you can see all the imperfections, but you can’t see them otherwise.

The kit so far fits really well. Not yet Tamiya standard, but you can tell somebody is spending some time considering the construction of the model.

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Got a lot done over the last week. Starting to look like a Buccaneer!

There is a lot of internal assembly of engines and prepainting of wheel wells prior to joining the fuselage, which is a horizontal joint, which fitted well.

The tail was fitted first and was an ok fit. It was slightly wider than the main fuselage so needed a bit of scraping to bring it flush.

When I came to fit the nose I realised I'd forgotten to add the 15g weight the instructions asked for! The first time ever, so it was inevitable. After exploring ways to get it in there I settled on the front of the cockpit. There is a final piece to go on top under the canopy and then the canopy over will fill the hole I had to create with a scalpel. I then spent an hour or so cutting up a block of lead in to tiny pieces and poking them through the hole. Poured in a load of thin CA to complete.

Here's a few snaps.

IMG_2836.JPG
IMG_2835.JPG
IMG_2834.JPG

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Very nice work so far Chris!
Cockpit looks great too :thumb2:
Steven

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Another mistake spotted!

I was looking at the wing folds and spotted a tab missing off my wings that was shown in the drawings, so I set about investigating why this tab wasn't present on my part as it seemed like to obvious a detail to be mistake for a sprue gate and unwittingly removed.
Turns out I didn't read the instructions and assumed the wing sections I carefully removed from the fuselage were to be added to the wing assembly, when in fact they were to be discarded as Airfix helpfully provide replacements, which have the aforementioned missing tabs on.

IMG_2842.JPG

Stupid boy.

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Cruddy day outside so managed to spend half the afternoon on this.

Cleaned up all the final sub assemblies that need painting prior to assembly and got everything degreased and ready for priming.

90EE6112-D5BC-4044-BA2D-F51AF0E0E377.jpeg